Jose Canseco thinks he’d win the Home Run Derby

Jul 9, 2012, 5:51 PM EST

Jose Canseco AP

Well, of course he does. He’s Jose Canseco, after all.

Unfortunately, Canseco, who turned 48 a week ago, wasn’t invited to the festivities by either Matt Kemp or Robinson Cano. Surely only because he wasn’t eligible to be invited, by virtue of his being out of the league for 11 years now. Still, I’d be in favor of making him a late addition to the event. Put Billy Butler in there too to give the Kansas City fans something to root for.

Alas, Canseco probably has too much going on to arrive on such late notice.

But if he does show, please, let him give Chris Berman’s job a try.

1. atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

And I think that Jose Canseco should shut up! I think I’m more right than he is.

2. chill1184 - Jul 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Is it me or has Canseco just become a tv sitcom like running gag of MLB?

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

He’s the baseball version of Charlie Sheen, all that’s missing is the tiger blood and bi-winning.

• lmoneyfresh - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

And being good at his job. Oh, and being funny.

• bloodysock - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM

They could stick him in the MLB Fan Cave, or maybe just the Cave part.

3. astrosfan75956 - Jul 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

No he is the Virgil and has raisin balls.

4. natsattack - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Anybody tell him it is required to be able to use a round bat to hit a round ball squarely?

5. ezthinking - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

“I can do a good job” is a far cry from ‘would do a good job.”

New nickname, Go Away Jose.

6. number42is1 - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I’m fairly certain that Jose can win the republican & democratic nomination while running on a green platform

7. buggieowens - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Did you know that Jose was good at football too:
    “Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would’ve been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.”

8. pisano - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

The problem for Jose is he wouldn’t be able to take those shots in the a$$, so I doubt he could get the ball out of the infield.

9. ningenito78 - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Over/under when this dude finally blows his brains out?

10. Panda Claus - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Who among us wouldn’t love to see a Jose vs. Reggie Home Run Derby right now? If anything sounds like it’s made for a FOX special, that would be it.

Jo(s)e Millionaire 3?

• mikecubbie69 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Id pay to see him in a wrestling match against Reggie……..my money being on Mr. October of course!

11. botkins24 - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM

lol he is trolling and does it better than anybody else. He does it on twitter and in interviews.

12. buffalomafia - Jul 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Only if the stool pidgeon was still on roids would he have a shot!

Shouldn’t he be in the witness protection program for squeeling?

I thought there was a code in the gym what you see or do in the gym stays in the gym?

13. j0esixpack - Jul 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Canseco couldn’t come close to getting a bat on a real major league fast ball.

But give him those 70 mph softball throws in the Derby – plus factor in the steroids he’s probably still taking, and he may very well be able to get his bat on the ball and put quite a few out of the park.

All of that’s really nothing to boast about though. It doesn’t mean he could earn a spot in the minors, let alone with a major league club.

14. bbil2012 - Jul 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Not so good in the CanAm league.

15. mybrunoblog - Jul 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Jose believes he should be in the Hall of Fame. Reggie Bit his lip and didn’t comment.

16. thatyankeedude - Jul 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I think Jose canseco might spontaneously grow a vagina with the way he runs his mouth and all the steroids he used.

17. jaysfan64 - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Too bad his Twitter didn’t stay closed…actually I follow him just for the entertainment value….

18. hgfrombc2 - Jul 10, 2012 at 6:33 AM

All I want for Christmas is for the media to stop writing stories(?) about this, and all other, irrelevant, retired sports ass-clowns. Maybe then they’ll just fade from memory?

19. Samuel - Jul 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Reblogged this on But at the end of the day… and commented:
    I missed this yesterday but every time Canseco opens his mouth or tweets something, it makes me scratch my head.

20. lifeform - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Interesting to note his numbers when he actually did compete in the Derby:

1986: 1 HR
    1990: 0 HRs

21. mikecubbie69 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Brother……..I wish this clown would just join the circus where he belongs………

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester