Jul 9, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
As part of the new collective bargaining agreement MLB moved the deadline for draft picks to sign from mid-August to mid-July, so this year’s unsigned picks have until Friday at 5:00 p.m. eastern time to ink deals.
Most early selections signed within two weeks of the draft, but seven of the 31 first-round picks remain unsigned and that includes several of the draft’s biggest names.
#4 Kevin Gausman, LSU right-hander (Orioles)
#6 Albert Almora, high school outfielder (Cubs)
#8 Mark Appel, Stanford right-hander (Pirates)
#9 Andrew Heaney, Oklahoma St. left-hander (Marlins)
#16 Lucas Giolito, high school right-hander (Nationals)
#25 Richie Shaffer, Clemson third baseman (Rays)
#30 Ty Hensley, high school right-hander (Yankees)
Giolito fell to the Nationals at No. 16 in part because of his elbow injury and in part because of his presumed bonus demands, and Appel’s fall to the Pirates at No. 8 is well-documented. Almora immediately made it clear he’d be a tough sign when the Cubs took him No. 6, and not coincidentally both Appel and Almora are “advised” by agent Scott Boras.
Most draft analysts seem to think at most one or two first-round picks will go unsigned, largely because the new CBA also put in place a slot bonus system that makes holding out for more money very difficult. Of course, that doesn’t mean Appel and Boras, for instance, won’t try.
UPDATE: We can cross Almora off the list, as he’s apparently agreed to terms with the Cubs for an over-slot bonus.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)