Jul 9, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
With Kansas City’s Kauffman Stadium serving as the battleground, Monday’s Home Run Derby figured to yield fewer souveniers than usual. Kauffman is one of the game’s tough home run parks. Using Stats Inc. park factors, only Minnesota’s Target Field played tougher on home runs for AL parks from 2009-11 and that only slightly. It’s played closer to neutral this year, but Yankee Stadium it’s not.
That’s especially true for left-handed hitters. With 100 being average, Kauffman had a home run park factor of 64 from 2009-11, the lowest of any AL stadium. It was a more reasonable 89 for right-handed hitters. Yankee Stadium, in comparison, was at 143 for lefties and 117 for righties.
So, the righties should have the advantage tonight. Kauffman is a symmetrical park, but the ball just tends to travel better to left field.
And that’s one big reason I expect the Angels’ Mark Trumbo to be the champ. Of the participants, he’s hit the longest homers this year.
Interestingly, Beltran says he still hasn’t decided whether he’ll swing lefty or righty tonight.
Apart from Trumbo, I think Cano, the defending champ, and Beltran are the favorites. Bautista and Kemp were both eliminated in the first round last year, and Kemp still has some rust to shake anyway. Fielder has the muscle to start off strong, but as much effort as he puts into his swing, I think he’d fade if he ever made it to the finals.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)