Jul 9, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
We know Justin Verlander will be starting the All-Star Game for the AL. John Harper of the New York Daily News has a source telling him who the NL starter will be:
Source says Dickey is not starting All-Star game. Will be Cain vs. Verlander.
— John Harper (@NYDNHarper) July 9, 2012
I know a lot of people want R.A. Dickey to start for the NL because he’s awesome sauce and everything. And really, it would be fantastic to see the contrast between the 100 m.p.h. Verlander and the knuckleballer to start the game.
But ultimately it kind of doesn’t matter given how short pitcher outings are in this thing. R.A. Dickey has been better than Matt Cain so far this year, but Cain has been pretty damn fantastic too, so as a controversy, I’m guessing it won’t have long legs.
Unless of course La Russa’s explanation for it is nonsensical again, like it was with the Cueto/Greinke snubs.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)