Jul 9, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
We know Justin Verlander will be starting the All-Star Game for the AL. John Harper of the New York Daily News has a source telling him who the NL starter will be:
Source says Dickey is not starting All-Star game. Will be Cain vs. Verlander.
— John Harper (@NYDNHarper) July 9, 2012
I know a lot of people want R.A. Dickey to start for the NL because he’s awesome sauce and everything. And really, it would be fantastic to see the contrast between the 100 m.p.h. Verlander and the knuckleballer to start the game.
But ultimately it kind of doesn’t matter given how short pitcher outings are in this thing. R.A. Dickey has been better than Matt Cain so far this year, but Cain has been pretty damn fantastic too, so as a controversy, I’m guessing it won’t have long legs.
Unless of course La Russa’s explanation for it is nonsensical again, like it was with the Cueto/Greinke snubs.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 15
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 19
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)