Jul 9, 2012, 9:43 AM EST
We know Justin Verlander will be starting the All-Star Game for the AL. John Harper of the New York Daily News has a source telling him who the NL starter will be:
Source says Dickey is not starting All-Star game. Will be Cain vs. Verlander.
— John Harper (@NYDNHarper) July 9, 2012
I know a lot of people want R.A. Dickey to start for the NL because he’s awesome sauce and everything. And really, it would be fantastic to see the contrast between the 100 m.p.h. Verlander and the knuckleballer to start the game.
But ultimately it kind of doesn’t matter given how short pitcher outings are in this thing. R.A. Dickey has been better than Matt Cain so far this year, but Cain has been pretty damn fantastic too, so as a controversy, I’m guessing it won’t have long legs.
Unless of course La Russa’s explanation for it is nonsensical again, like it was with the Cueto/Greinke snubs.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)