Yankees tell Reggie Jackson to go away

Jul 9, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

Reggie Jackson

Reggie Jackson made headlines last week for saying that Kirby Puckett, Gary Carter, Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame, and also for saying that Alex Rodriguez‘s numbers should be questioned due to performance enhancing drugs.

Jackson later apologized and Rodriguez seemingly brushed it off by saying: “With friends like that, who needs enemies.”

However, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com the Yankees aren’t so quick to forgive Mr. October’s comments and he’s been “told to stay away from team events indefinitely.”

Olney notes that Jackson is a paid “special advisor” to the Yankees and often travels with the team, but was not in Boston over the weekend.

1. kevinklix - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Reggie has always be an arrogant man. I met him several times when he has come up to Cooperstown during our Hall of Fame induction weekends. He comes out at the bars and restaurants and expects everyone to drop what they are doing and to cater to him and his entourage. Reggie never deserved the title of Mr. October and should have never gone in as a New York Yankee for the Hall of Fame. He got more than 300 home runs out of his 563 total home runs of his career with the A’s and Angels, I am sure he was probably offered money to go in as a yankee and it figures. he has always thought he was better than any other baseball player out there, and he in my opinion was one of the worst and most arrogant and stuck up players in the league, and If I see him in coopertsown again I wont walk up and shake his hand. He has some nerve to critisize when he sets a terrible example., So reggie maybe you should look in the mirror and reflect on how you think you are so good and others are bad. Your vote in my opinion for a Hall of Fame player shouldnt even be considered since you never write anyones name down anyway.

• daf52 - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I’ve never met Reggie Jackson so I can tell you nothing about his personality. All I can tell you is that he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame (even as a Yankee). The numbers/statistics he put up were quite incredible. It can be difficult to judge a player simply by his numbers. You have to assess them in the context in which he accumulated them. I didn’t like the Yankees then (still don’t), but Jackson made them great! There’s no disguising that.

• 18thstreet - Jul 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Jackson should be in the Hall of Fame as an Oakland A. I always assumed it was a savvy business decision on his part to associate himself more strongly with the Yankees, but he played just as many games with the Angels and twice as many with the A’s.

All that said, Jackson was a terrific player and I believe he has an airtight Hall of Fame case that is bolstered by Game 6 of the 1977 World Series.

I strongly recommend the book “The Bronx is Burning” and Graig Nettles’s memoirs for more about those Yankee teams.

2. Reflex - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I know the consensus is that Reggie is a douche. And he probably is, I don’t know. What I do know is that I met him in 1989 when he did a card signing. I was there before the signing because my step father was a window washer who was doing the windows of the business that was holding the signing. Him and I chatted with Reggie before the place opened up, and he was very cool, signed some stuff for me(that sadly I have since lost), talked a bit about baseball, and was an all around nice guy. One of my best baseball memories.

I know his reputation. I know what people say about him. I know that in the context I read this stuff he comes across terribly. But all I can say is I met him and he was a very nice man.

But that’s just my anecdote.

3. nolanwiffle - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Must kill the queen. Must kill the queen.

4. hushbrother - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I like Reggie but sometimes the man needs a big glass of shaddup juice.

5. materialman80 - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Reggie is entitled to his opinion like everybody else.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3558)