Jul 10, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Braves will call up Sheets to start Sunday against the Mets, in Atlanta.
Ben Sheets made his second Double-A start yesterday, tossing 5.2 innings of three-run ball as the oft-injured former All-Star tries to make it back to the majors with the Braves.
Sheets was hurt by his defense late in the game, so his final line probably undersells his effectiveness. He struck out four, walked none, and allowed seven hits without giving up a homer.
Through two starts he has a 10/1 K/BB ratio and reports of his low-90s velocity have been encouraging, but Double-A batters are hitting .279 off him.
He threw 89 pitches yesterday, so Sheets is stretched out enough that the Braves could add him to their rotation at any time if they deem him ready and upon signing him to a minor-league deal they indicated that the 33-year-old wouldn’t be asked to remain in the minors for very long.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)