Jul 10, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Braves will call up Sheets to start Sunday against the Mets, in Atlanta.
Ben Sheets made his second Double-A start yesterday, tossing 5.2 innings of three-run ball as the oft-injured former All-Star tries to make it back to the majors with the Braves.
Sheets was hurt by his defense late in the game, so his final line probably undersells his effectiveness. He struck out four, walked none, and allowed seven hits without giving up a homer.
Through two starts he has a 10/1 K/BB ratio and reports of his low-90s velocity have been encouraging, but Double-A batters are hitting .279 off him.
He threw 89 pitches yesterday, so Sheets is stretched out enough that the Braves could add him to their rotation at any time if they deem him ready and upon signing him to a minor-league deal they indicated that the 33-year-old wouldn’t be asked to remain in the minors for very long.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)