Jul 10, 2012, 6:49 PM EST
Bell, who was signed to a three-year, $27 million deal in the offseason, has blown two of his last four save chances and six of 25 for the season. Those totals don’t include the four-run lead he blew on June 25, since that wasn’t a save situation.
Steve Cishek could be the favorite for saves in Miami for now, but the Marlins are just two weeks away from getting ex-closer Juan Oviedo back from suspension. The former Leo Nunez missed the first couple of months with visa troubles and is currently finishing up his 50-game suspension for lying about his identity. If Bell hasn’t righted the ship when Oviedo returns on July 23, odds are Oviedo will get a shot at the closer’s role.
As for Bell, well, some of the blame may go on Ozzie Guillen here. Bell was working on a string of 10 straight scoreless appearances before the ugly four-run outing two weeks ago. His two blown saves since came during a span in which he pitched seven times in nine days.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)