Jul 10, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: Brad Como of SNY reports that tests on Gee revealed a clot in the artery of his right shoulder.
UPDATE #2: Gee will be placed on the disabled list and is expected to remain in the hospital for another day or two while doctors monitor the clot after they used a catheter to break it up.
“They aren’t sure what it is yet,” Collins told Rubin, adding that Gee is scheduled to undergo an angiogram and further testing.
Gee was admitted to the hospital Monday and Rubin talked to an unnamed Mets teammate who said “the issue was believed to be blood-related in Gee’s shoulder.”
Gee, who’s emerged as a solid mid-rotation starter for the Mets at age 26 and threw 110 innings with a 4.10 ERA and 97/29 K/BB ratio in the first half, is lined up to start the second-half opener.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)