Jul 10, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Baltimore decided not to wait until the second half officially began, activating Nick Markakis from the disabled list after the outfielder missed the past six weeks with a broken hamate bone in his right wrist.
Markakis showed he was ready to return by homering twice during a brief three-game rehab assignment in the minors. He homered a total of eight times in 50 games for the Orioles prior to the injury.
Baltimore started five different players in right field during Markakis’ absence, with Chris Davis getting most of the action there recently.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 64
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)