Jul 10, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Baltimore decided not to wait until the second half officially began, activating Nick Markakis from the disabled list after the outfielder missed the past six weeks with a broken hamate bone in his right wrist.
Markakis showed he was ready to return by homering twice during a brief three-game rehab assignment in the minors. He homered a total of eight times in 50 games for the Orioles prior to the injury.
Baltimore started five different players in right field during Markakis’ absence, with Chris Davis getting most of the action there recently.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8