Jul 10, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Baltimore decided not to wait until the second half officially began, activating Nick Markakis from the disabled list after the outfielder missed the past six weeks with a broken hamate bone in his right wrist.
Markakis showed he was ready to return by homering twice during a brief three-game rehab assignment in the minors. He homered a total of eight times in 50 games for the Orioles prior to the injury.
Baltimore started five different players in right field during Markakis’ absence, with Chris Davis getting most of the action there recently.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)