Jul 10, 2012, 12:29 PM EST
Bud Selig is doing his annual All-Star press conference as we speak. And he continues to believe this noise:
“The appetite for more instant replay in the sport is very low.”
I hate it when people tell me I’m not hungry when I really am. I mean, how could they possibly know that?
I dunno. Maybe he believes that if he repeats that nonsense enough times it will actually become true.
Added Joe Torre, and I am not making this up:
“I don’t know why we want everything to be perfect. This isn’t a perfect game. Life isn’t perfect.”
That same reasoning could be used by any player who decides not to improve his game. “Hey, I’ll never be Babe Ruth, so why bother trying to be the best I can be?” I’m guessing Torre wouldn’t much care for it if one of his players said that.
Torre added his concern about “pace of the game” if replay were expanded. I can’t imagine an instance of greater chutzpah than the man who presided over scores of four hour Yankees-Red Sox games pretending to care about “pace of the game.”
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)