Quote of the Day: Bud Selig continues to live in utter denial regarding instant replay

Jul 10, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT

Bud Selig

Bud Selig is doing his annual All-Star press conference as we speak. And he continues to believe this noise:

“The appetite for more instant replay in the sport is very low.”

I hate it when people tell me I’m not hungry when I really am. I mean, how could they possibly know that?

I dunno. Maybe he believes that if he repeats that nonsense enough times it will actually become true.

Added Joe Torre, and I am not making this up:

That same reasoning could be used by any player who decides not to improve his game. “Hey, I’ll never be Babe Ruth, so why bother trying to be the best I can be?”  I’m guessing Torre wouldn’t much care for it if one of his players said that.

Torre added his concern about “pace of the game” if replay were expanded.  I can’t imagine an instance of greater chutzpah than the man who presided over scores of four hour Yankees-Red Sox games pretending to care about “pace of the game.”

1. icanspeel - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

The appetite by Selig for instant replay is very low. I am curious though.. I wonder how many instant replay home runs have been reversed from the original call since being implemented. Someone smart here should post it.

• Mike Luna - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I remember one specifically. It was in the WS between the Yanks & Phills.

A-Rod hit one down the line and it bounced off of a camera in the corner. It was initially ruled a double, but they checked the replay and found that it was a homerun.

Who knows how that series may have been different if technology hadn’t been used to get the call right?

Thankfully, we don’t have to know because they did get it right.

2. kopy - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

“This isn’t the replay you’re looking for!”

• kopy - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

‘scuse me. That was Joe Torre who said that.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Actually it reminds me more of a “Jabba no bother” moment for Bud. Now we just need Carrie Fisher lookalike to strangle him until he gets the point.

3. Ben - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Translation: We don’t want to piss off the umpire’s union, and the owners don’t want to pay for it.

4. kopy - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM

“This isn’t a perfect game.” -Bud Selig

Tell that to Armando Galarraga!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

A fantasy: The first year of MLB’s next commissioner, with a 21st century replay system having been installed to ensure the fairest possible games, he announces he is officially reversing the bad call and that MLB will recognize the perfect game, and says there will be a pre-game ceremony June 2 at Tiger Stadium honoring Galarraga, who will sign a one-day Tigers contract so he can be in uniform and get his well-deserved and long-overdue ovation. It will be like when the NL honored Harvey Haddix with a silver tray and 12 goblets for his record 12-inning perfecto that he lost in the 13th. Just a fantasy. No, I don’t expect it to ever happen.

5. astrosfan75956 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Bud Selig is so out of touch with MLB fans under 65.

• The Rabbit - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Trust me…Bud Selig is out of touch with older fans too.

• vallewho - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM

He’s old. Time catches up. Not fast enough for some of us. I’m relatively young. SO there’s a chance I’ll see positive change.

• danrizzle - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I read a quote from Planck the other day (can’t remember where it was posted–maybe here) that went something like this: new ideas don’t change the old ones, just the people with the old ideas die.

Not to say or imply anything unseemly–I just mean that it’s going to take time for things like replay to take hold.

• skids003 - Jul 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

He sounds like a liberal talking about the current administration, doesn’t he?

6. MattJanik - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Isn’t the fact that he’s answering questions about it at a press conference seemingly every other week evidence itself that there’s “appetite” for it (or, at the very least, that lots of people want to talk about it)?

7. natsattack - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Season/Instant Replays/Calls Changed/%
    2008/ 7/ 2/ 29%
    2009/ 59/ 22/ 37%
    2010/ 69/ 24/ 34%
    2011/ 66/ 17/ 26%
    Total/ 201/ 65/ 32%
    Source: Bill James Handbook 2012

• icanspeel - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Thanks for the numbers, so 32% were changed which is a pretty high number, you’d think there would be a bigger push for it or maybe the umpires don’t want to get further exposed for being human

• 18thstreet - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Please don’t call it instant replay. There is nothing instant about it.

• Kevin S. - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM

In its current implementation, no not really. But being able to see the play and know the correct call within 10-15 seconds is reasonably instantaneous.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Good work Natsattack! The percentages are somewhat staggering.
      I just knew they would be in the teens.

8. paperlions - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Craig, I think that is a misinterpretation.

Bud speaks for the owners, not for the fans or any other group. When he says, “The appetite for more instant replay in the sport is very low.”, he is saying that the owners don’t want more replay. He is not saying that the fans or players or coaches don’t want more replay….those groups don’t get a say in the rules of the game…only the owners have that say.

9. cur68 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The scene: Selig’s office.
    The Occasion: Judging fan appetite for expanded Instant Replay.
    The Players: Bud, Joe, Madge.

“Madge!” Roared Bud, out his office door to his secretary. “I need a boo-boo strip! Bring me an Aquaman one next time! These Batman ones itch. Harrumph!”
    He turned to Joe Torre, sitting across from him. Torre was exploring for CornFlakes up his nostril and lost in thought.
    “Joe! Harrumph! Stop picking your nose and listen up!”
    Joe jumped, caught in the act.
    “Erm, sorry Bud. Need help with your boo-boo strip?”
    “What?! No! Madge does that. Listen Joe, more instant replay, right? Is fan attendance dow….don’t wipe that on my desk!! Harrumph!”
    Joe jumped again, caught in the act of adding to his stash on the edge of Bud’s desk. “Erm, erm, sorry Bud. Just a habit. Sorry. Ah, what? Instant replay? Erm, er…no?”
    “Right!” said Bud, slamming his fist onto his desk. “Appetite is low, isn’t it? Attendance is up, so no one wants it. Right? Harrumph! Right!”

“Right,” exclaimed Joe, now that he was sure of his ground. He waved his picking finger in the air. “What do these blog writers want? Perfection? Who do they think they are, with their perfection?”

“Harrumph! Right!…” Bud paused as Madge applied an Aquaman™ Boo-Boo strip to the latest owie on his forehead. He crushed the old Batman™ one in his gouty fingers, rolled it up, and flicked it at Joe. “Perfection has no human element. . .” he paused.

“Joe…”

“Erm, yes?”

“What’s a ‘blog’?”

10. Joe - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

60-second replay review proper “pace” of a baseball game.
    5-minute tirade by a manager = proper “pace” of a baseball game.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM

It probably wouldn’t even take 60 seconds for some things,

I was watching Wimbledon last weekend, and it took maybe 10 seconds all in from the time the challenge was placed to get the line call.

11. vanmorrissey - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Bunch of lame excuses spewing from MLB’s mouths. Posted this elsewhere, but when you stream the games into anyone’s home who pays for it via MLB.TV, then you surely have the capability to have a system whereby you can efficiently replay any play from different angles within a matter of moments, get the correct call, then relay it back to the game. Done. They’re trying to make a mountain of lame excuses such as no one really wants it, the cost, the cameras are not in every stadium, crock of BS is what it is.

12. hgulkkcaj - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Personally I like the game the way it is. Too much technology takes away from the game, in my opinion. I’m in my 20′s, and I would be disappointed if more replay was added. The human element is part of what makes it so interesting to me.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I think there’s plenty of human element present in the men wearing numbers on their backs, and no need to lessen what they do by improperly judging it.

• jrbdmb - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Absolutely. I’d much rather have an important game decided by the seemingly random judgement calls of Wild Joe West and Angel Hernandez than by the players on the field.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Too much technology takes away from the game, in my opinion.

Care to explain how technology removes the human element from the game?

It’s utterly absurd that if I bring an iPad or other tablet PC into a game, that myself, everyone at home, and everyone else watching MLB.tv can see instantaneous replays of an at-bat/catch/whatever, but the players/umpires can’t. The job of MLB and the umps should be to get the plays right, at almost any cost.

And posting this again:

Does the 1985 World Series — and especially the errant call in Game 6 — still leave a bad taste in your mouth?

No, it’s over and done with. The only thing that leaves a bad taste in your mouth is to not make an effort to get it right. I’m asked a lot about instant replay. If the goal is to get it right, and we have the technology, I don’t care how much time it takes — especially in postseason — let’s get it right. Even if it goes against me, I can live with that.

Ozzie Smith

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I am obligated to agree with everything the Wizard says.
        Geesh! I really wanted to be against replay too. Thanks a lot Church.
        Yeah…sarcasm

13. JB (the original) - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

My appetite for more Bud Selig is very low, so low that I think one more bite will cause my guts to spasm and deliver the entirety of him in quite rapid manner to the bottom of the porcelain bowl where he belongs.

14. The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

If the powers that be think that officiating is “good enough”, then why do we add additional umpires at each level of play, and then add two more in the playoffs? Little leaguers have one umpire, low minors use two, high minors use three, MLB uses four, and MLB playoffs use six. If this isn’t about trying to make better calls, then what is it? And if it IS important to make better calls, then why wouldn’t we want to make CORRECT calls, instead of just calls that are slightly more likely to be accurate because an additional official might have a better angle? If you want to give the officials a better angle, then take advantage of all of the angles we have available.

Is the game of baseball ruined without replay? No. But getting all of the calls right would put the focus back where it belongs, on the GAME, and not on the officiating.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

That pretty much embodies my thoughts on the matter.

15. southpaw2k - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Joe Torre: “I don’t know why we want everything to be perfect. This isn’t a perfect game. Life isn’t perfect.”

That’s really funny, Joe. I gotta wonder if you’d say this same thing had replay not corrected the Jeter “home run” that landed in Jeffrey Maier’s glove in the 1996 ALCS. Granted, that goes back a LONG time, but if the umps had ruled that play fan intereference, or at least a ground rule double, how differently would that series have played out? And would you still accept the fact that baseball isn’t “perfect” when the change could potentially have led to your Yankees being eliminated instead of eventually winning the World Series that year?

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Am I remembering something wrong? If I recall correctly, there was no replay review available at that time, and the Rich Garcia’s call on the field, which stood, was a Home Run. Had replay existed at that time, it’s entirely likely that the call on the field would have been overturned, which would have hurt Joe Torre’s Yankees. So as far as Torre’s history, the lack of replay was a GOOD thing for him.

• Kevin S. - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I think what he’s saying is that he opposes replay because it *would have* overturned the Jeffrey Maier play. Which, I dunno, seems kind of silly to me.

16. randygnyc - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I don’t think I personally know a baseball fan who doesn’t want instant replay. And if you ask the question, “if possible, do you want the umpires to get the call right”. 100% would probably say “yes”.

17. JustMeMike - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

At the end of the story there’s a reference to pace of the game – makes no sense that they think replay mechanism would substantially increase the amount of time it takes to play a game.

If they’re worried about the pace – and really want to shorten the games – don’t allow batters to step out of the box and adjust every single part of their equipment after each and every pitch. Also, I wasn’t aware that velcro had that much slippage, and I can’t see the reason to have to re-clasp the velcro EVEN WHEN YOU DIDN’T EVEN SWING.

Want more? After every single 2B Hit – time is called so the batter who is now a baserunner can take off his armor, his batting gloves etc. If you put it on, and can wear into the game as a batter – it stays on.

Last – some pitchers take forever between pitches. How much faster would a game play if pitchers just stepped back on the rubber quicker. Just watch Chris Sale pitch for an exemplary example.

18. IdahoMariner - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Replay. Now. The delay is negligible, if you stick a guy in a booth with the screens, and he only stops action when they get it wrong on the field.

• Kevin S. - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Especially when you consider that the vast majority of the time, the replay is going to be occurring when the next batter is walking to the plate, which takes up much of the time anyway.

19. rcali - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Please retire Grandpa Selig, MLB is being lapped by other sports.

20. footballchic777 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

We are halfway through the season, and look how tight many of the races are in multiple divisions! It should not come down to a team being in or out because of a blatantly erroneous call! Selig, the fans, the ones who pay your salaries, want the replays! How hard is that to understand? There have been so many TOTALLY blown calls this year that I can’t believe there is any further discussion needed!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Does anyone else remember the awful call at home plate in the 19th inning last year that cost the contending Pirates a chance at a big win in Atlanta, a loss that arguably sent them into a dive from which they never recovered? (I’m not a Pirates fan.)
      Bud, WE WANT REPLAYS!!!

• sdsockers - Jul 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

The Padres are still waiting for Matt Holliday to touch home plate, a call that could’ve (should’ve) been reversed using Replay.

21. astrosfan75956 - Jul 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Selig needs to retire already!

22. anxovies - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Why not just get rid of the players altogether? The fans come come to the ballpark, have the baseball experience with kids, hot dogs, beer and popcorn and watch Major League Baseball on a giant Intellivision screen. No blown balls and strikes or foul calls and the fans could leave happy and satisfied that everything was…….pefect!

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4047)