Selig wants to use the DH in NL park, pitcher batting in AL parks in interleague

Jul 10, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

Bud Selig Reuters

“Because I can, that’s why. I’m Bud Selig!”what I am imagining Selig saying in this picture every single time I use it.

Anyway: wanna know why I have whiplash right now? Because after listening to Bud Selig and Joe Torre talk about how one must not tinker with baseball tradition and how it’s all fine and no innovations are needed when it comes to replay, he whipped out an idea that seems like pure gimmickry for gimmickry’s sake: using the DH in NL parks and the pitcher hitting in AL parks during interleague games.

Selig says he “likes” this idea and that he’s going to discuss the matter with Joe Torre in the offseason.

This seems kinda nuts to me. Because if there is one thing NL and AL fans agree on, it’s that the other league’s system is awful.  Inflicting pitchers hitting on AL fans and the DH on NL fans is the baseball equivalent of making a kid take castor oil. Except it won’t serve even the thinnest medicinal uses in baseball’s case.

Earlier, Joe Torre’s reason for not wanting to tinker with replay is because there’s no need to constantly try to make things perfect. Given that he and his boss seem interested in screwing around like this for no good reason, at least he’s walking the walk in terms of not wanting to improve things.

1. chiadam - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Wonderful. Here are some more logical rule changes:
    1.For every game played in an AL park, both teams have to field nothing but pitchers. Nine pitchers, please. Well, eight, because the pitcher will be a regular position player.
    2. For every game in an NL park, everyone must ride a unicycle around the bases. No running allowed.
    3. Yankees -Red Sox games are not long enough. There should be five minutes between pitches and each game should take 19 hours.

2. rooney24 - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Actually, I have heard this idea bantered about on the Twins local TV telecasts as well, and think it has some merit. If you are going to have two ways of playing, why not allow the home fans to witness the other brand of baseball, instead of just the other team? Plus, maybe it would eventually lead to only one rule after everyone gets to witness both ways.

• Jeremy T - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

If we were still living in the 50’s, this might be a solid point, but in this age of national games on ESPN and Fox, cable tv and MLB.tv do you really think there are fans who have never seen the “other brand” of baseball?

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I’m fine with having pitchers bat in the AL parks. Many of these fans have never seen a real baseball game in their lives.

On the other hand, I don’t see any point to letting the pitchers sit in the NL parks and letting DHs lumber to the plate with that Neanderthal glint below their sloping brows. Why make the weaker league more boring than it already is?

3. chitownmatt - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

As a season ticket holder, I think this is a GREAT idea and I have been begging for it for years.

It gives people who only get to regularly go to one ballpark a chance to experience the other leagues style.

That, and it is good manners to treat the visitor as a “guest” and should be explained to kids in that way.

4. annaalamode - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Does Bud Selig’s head even fit through doors anymore? Not to be overly critical but how much time can you spend surrounded by yespeople before you head grows three sizes and you find yourself full of utterly birdbrained ideas?

• florida727 - Jul 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

When you’re the commissioner of Major League Baseball and can’t go to every game logistically, you watch games on cable. When you watch games on cable, you get bird-brained ideas of how to improve the game. When you get bird-brained ideas of how to improve the game, you bounce your ideas off of your yes-people. When you bounce your ideas off of your yes-people, your head grows three sizes because you’re always right. When your head grows three because you’re always right, your head won’t fit through doors anymore. When your head won’t fit through doors anymore, you cause a blunt-force trauma injury to yourself when you try to fit through the door. Don’t cause a blunt-force trauma to yourself trying to fit through a door. Get rid of cable. And upgrade to DirectTV.

• ugglasforearms - Jul 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Great parody of the TV ads. Way to go!!!

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Well done Florida. Well done.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM

DirecTV took away my Comedy Central. I am not a happy camper anymore.

5. somejoe7777 - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

This idea has been around for some time, and while I think the idea seems good in theory (let each team’s home fans see the version of the game that they normally don’t get to see), I don’t think this works well in practice. For NL teams, the fans would get to see their team use a DH, which could be kind of cool, but for AL teams, the fans are just subjected to watching their pitchers flail at the plate, which isn’t at all interesting. Plus, on AL teams you usually have a well-known player who is the DH, and he wouldn’t even be in the game.

6. Chris K - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I would love this! I’m in Toronto and have never seen a pitcher bay live. I think exposing people to the different times is a great idea and overall it makes no difference as the same number of DH games are played as not!

7. mvpolamalu - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Wow, really just wow. I wouldent be suprised if it turned into

Mondays- wear goofy hat in field day
    Tuesday- wear shoes twice your size day
    Wedensday- have bullpen catcher be the starting pitcher day
    Thursday- replace baseball diamond with 12 foot deep pool day
    Friday- randomize batting order day
    Saturday- switch the side of the plate you bat on day
    Sunday- have pitchers bat 3rd in lineup day

• chitownmatt - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Are you trying to convince me of the logic and merit of your opinions or just making an @ss out of yourself???

8. drewsylvania - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Tool said it best: F*#& you, Buddy.

9. Francisco (FC) - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Selig is thoroughly unoriginal, Jays-Phillies already did this experiment two years ago in Philly.

• nbjays - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Is it just me, or is Bud Selig channeling the ghost of Bill Veeck? Bread and circuses indeed!

10. rcali - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Whenever a pitcher comes to bat, I hide my childs eyes so he doesn’t pick up any bad batting habits.

11. timpaz - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Selig and Torre should be more concerned about replacing all the inept and arrogant umpires, lets begin by firing Joe West, a disgrace to his profession.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

There’s that little instant replay thing too that those alter kockers (that’s Swedish*) refuse to entertain.

* no, it isn’t

12. psousa1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

just use the dh in every all star game regardless of park. vote in 1 and have manager select 2 more. This will cut down on the so called ‘snubs’

13. footballchic777 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Just another stupid thought, by another stupid commissioner, who is paid way too much! Bud, you don’t make smart decisions in the right direction, yet you are willing to institute stupid decisions in the wrong direction! Priceless! Do you, Stern, and Goodell all get together to see who can be the biggest idiot, or is it a individual competition?

14. brenenostler - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

It’s ok. All baseball fans support this. Just look at the attendance!

15. greymares - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

thats why for me the season ends at the league championship series. the world series is an exhibition

16. retief1954 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Understanding that Selig is the owners’ “boy”, I worry he’s beginning to go a bit senile. Weird new ideas just for ideas’ sake is not good policy or foresight.

17. cozboogie - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

What do we have to do to get Bob Costas as MLB Commish?

18. deathmonkey41 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

He looks awfully smug in that picture.

19. bat42boy - Jul 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

That has to be the dumbest suggestion l’ve ever heard for baseball. Almost as bad as the DH period. You can tell Selig is really getting and senile. He should resign now to avoid further embarrassment.

20. hcf95688 - Jul 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Hey Bud, how about ruling on the A’s-to-San Jose thing after three plus years?

• willsolo - Jul 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Whoa whoa whoa… Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We need to let the process play itself out!

/sarcasm

21. snowbirdgothic - Jul 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM

On the surface, this does allow fans at NL parks to see players they wouldn’t ordinarily get to when AL teams play in their parks. When Boston comes to town, they’ve got a choice of sitting Big Papi or letting everyone see his wacky comedy stylings with a glove if they put him in the field, which IMHO is about as awkward as making AL pitchers try to hit.
    (And run. Especially run. They never seem to have trouble swinging the bat, but ask them to go 90 feet in a straight line and it’s like they’re on Ninja Warrior.)
    What this really makes sense as, however, is a way of getting NL audiences used to the DH, presumably in advance of a rules change making it uniform between the leagues.

22. bigleagues - Jul 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I’m probably more of a minority than most on the DH. I’m proudly ambivalent. I like that we have two flavors. I like watching NL games and AL games (I still hate interleague, however – but that’s for another discussion).

I think the DH rule needs more flexibility. I don’t like the idea that you lose the DH once the DH is removed from the game. Don’t get me wrong. DH or not, if a player comes out of the game, he stays out of the game. What I’m saying is, sometimes you might have a pitcher who is a better hitter than your remaining bench players. Why not let that pitcher hit, then if you need to re-introduce the DH later (because of pitcher ineffectiveness) – you can do so.

This would allow the NL game to keep its preference of having a cadre of role players that can be used in later innings either as pinch hitters or double-switches, but allow additional flexibility in keeping a better bat, if necessary, in the lineup as the game progresses. Additionally it allows a team to make its own philosophical choice of whether to commit payroll to a DH or not.

Just a thought, but I think one that’s worthy of discussion – at least more than what the CEO put forth in his spewfest this afternoon.

23. stratomaticfan - Jul 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Just another in a long line of stupid ideas by Selig

24. nofunleague - Jul 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Hey commish how about another tie all star game you idiot?
    Also the people of the Tampa bay area don’t care what you think about our attendance. #0 teams worth of fans live here and they attend their teams games. Screw you you old fart.

25. nofunleague - Jul 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Props to Cozboogie. Get Costas behind that desk and send this old fart back to his farm land. what an A$$

• cozboogie - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Thanks…Costas has a reverence and respect for the game that is certainly lacking in Selig. He understands the traditions while not wanting to water the game down. He would never let an All-Star game end in a tie….I think he would keep the players, owners, staff, and umps in their places. How many times have we seen umps making a name for themselves. I mean we haven’t had a Joe West siting recently, but it’s only a matter of time before Joe “I’m really a cowboy singer” West screws up some call and becomes the center of attention.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3728)