Jul 10, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
“Because I can, that’s why. I’m Bud Selig!” — what I am imagining Selig saying in this picture every single time I use it.
Anyway: wanna know why I have whiplash right now? Because after listening to Bud Selig and Joe Torre talk about how one must not tinker with baseball tradition and how it’s all fine and no innovations are needed when it comes to replay, he whipped out an idea that seems like pure gimmickry for gimmickry’s sake: using the DH in NL parks and the pitcher hitting in AL parks during interleague games.
Selig says he “likes” this idea and that he’s going to discuss the matter with Joe Torre in the offseason.
This seems kinda nuts to me. Because if there is one thing NL and AL fans agree on, it’s that the other league’s system is awful. Inflicting pitchers hitting on AL fans and the DH on NL fans is the baseball equivalent of making a kid take castor oil. Except it won’t serve even the thinnest medicinal uses in baseball’s case.
Earlier, Joe Torre’s reason for not wanting to tinker with replay is because there’s no need to constantly try to make things perfect. Given that he and his boss seem interested in screwing around like this for no good reason, at least he’s walking the walk in terms of not wanting to improve things.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)