Jul 10, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
“Because I can, that’s why. I’m Bud Selig!” — what I am imagining Selig saying in this picture every single time I use it.
Anyway: wanna know why I have whiplash right now? Because after listening to Bud Selig and Joe Torre talk about how one must not tinker with baseball tradition and how it’s all fine and no innovations are needed when it comes to replay, he whipped out an idea that seems like pure gimmickry for gimmickry’s sake: using the DH in NL parks and the pitcher hitting in AL parks during interleague games.
Selig says he “likes” this idea and that he’s going to discuss the matter with Joe Torre in the offseason.
This seems kinda nuts to me. Because if there is one thing NL and AL fans agree on, it’s that the other league’s system is awful. Inflicting pitchers hitting on AL fans and the DH on NL fans is the baseball equivalent of making a kid take castor oil. Except it won’t serve even the thinnest medicinal uses in baseball’s case.
Earlier, Joe Torre’s reason for not wanting to tinker with replay is because there’s no need to constantly try to make things perfect. Given that he and his boss seem interested in screwing around like this for no good reason, at least he’s walking the walk in terms of not wanting to improve things.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (99)