Jul 10, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
“Because I can, that’s why. I’m Bud Selig!” — what I am imagining Selig saying in this picture every single time I use it.
Anyway: wanna know why I have whiplash right now? Because after listening to Bud Selig and Joe Torre talk about how one must not tinker with baseball tradition and how it’s all fine and no innovations are needed when it comes to replay, he whipped out an idea that seems like pure gimmickry for gimmickry’s sake: using the DH in NL parks and the pitcher hitting in AL parks during interleague games.
Selig says he “likes” this idea and that he’s going to discuss the matter with Joe Torre in the offseason.
This seems kinda nuts to me. Because if there is one thing NL and AL fans agree on, it’s that the other league’s system is awful. Inflicting pitchers hitting on AL fans and the DH on NL fans is the baseball equivalent of making a kid take castor oil. Except it won’t serve even the thinnest medicinal uses in baseball’s case.
Earlier, Joe Torre’s reason for not wanting to tinker with replay is because there’s no need to constantly try to make things perfect. Given that he and his boss seem interested in screwing around like this for no good reason, at least he’s walking the walk in terms of not wanting to improve things.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'