Jul 10, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
All-Star Cole Hamels has more best friends that he knows what to do with. While opposing teams can’t talk to the free-agent-to-be, players on other teams are under no such restrictions.
“All I say to them is that I’ve been to every city, and I know what every city is like,” Hamels told Danny Knobler of CBS Sports on Tuesday.
Incidentally, Hamels has his locker stationed next to Clayton Kershaw‘s in the Kansas City visitors clubhouse. Flush with cash, the Dodgers seem pretty likely to be the high bidder for Hamels this winter, assuming that the Phillies can’t sign him to an extension before then.
“I would love to have him there,” Kershaw told Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times. “Our whole team would love to have a guy of his caliber. I hope we make a run at him.”
Hamels made it sound like testing free agency is the likely scenario.
“Anybody that wants to win, they’ve got a fair shot,” he said.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)