Won’t somebody think of the poor superstars being booed?

Jul 10, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

State Farm Home Run Derby Getty Images

I thought Robinson Cano getting mercilessly booed and jeered by the Kansas City fans at last night’s Home Run Derby was a bit … childish. I mean, really, we get it. You wanted Billy Butler in the Derby. I kind of did too, if for no other reason than it would allow me to say “Country Breakfast” more often than I already do.

It did seem, though, that the degree to which they booed Cano was a bit much and that it ended up reflecting more poorly on the crowd than anything. Made the fans seem too insecure and provincial and that’s never a good look.

But hey, they paid their money and they can do what they want.  It’s not like anyone should feel the need to do anything about it, right?  Right?!

As I clutch my pearls, try to fight off the vapors and look for my fainting couch, I too am desperate to find a way to keep a big baseball star from being booed. Because that is clearly the end of the world and must be stopped.

Unless this were to happen in New York, in which case the fans would be given a free pass by the likes of Harper and the player being booed would be told, hey, you just gotta learn to handle the pressure of New York, pal.

116 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. kopy - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

“You can’t boo our players! Only we can boo our players!”
    -NY Media

• nightman13 - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Everytime I try to reconsider my hatred for the East coast I get a stark reminder of why it exists.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Nightwoman13:
        “That’s probably because he’s an @$$hole and everybody outside of St Louis knows it.”

A few things…
        I am NOT from St. Louis (or even the State of Missouri).
        I fully realize he can be a cantakerous ass.

In a nutshell…your comment doesn’t carry any weight. Whatcha’ ya’ get next?

• nightman13 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Nightwoman? that’s the best you can do? What are you 6?

I will amend my comment from another post that for some reason you responded to here. “Everybody outside of St Louis and Cardinal fans.”
        Your statement was everybody thinks every decision LaRussa makes has a sinister motive, and I responded that’s because he’s an @$$hole. You even verified that is a true statement, why does my comment not carry any weight if you even admit it is true?

6 year old insult, 6 year old logic, also I’m pretty sure you meant “Whatcha got next” instead of “Whatcha’ ya’ get next.”

Go have some chocolate milk and string cheese and tell me what you got next right after fingerpainting and your nap.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

It doesn’t carry any weight because you appear to be questioning his decisions (or agreeing with everyone else who is questioning his decisions) solely because he is an “asshole.”
        And as I mentioned….”Bob Knight, Woody Hayes, General Patton and Adolph Rupp were also widely regarded as full fledged “assholes.” They were also the best at their respective fields.”

“also I’m pretty sure you meant “Whatcha got next” instead of “Whatcha’ ya’ get next.”
        Thank you for the editing Mrs. Reynolds.

• nightman13 - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I comment on articles to have productive baseball discussions and make smart @$$ comments. You are incapable of engaging in either.

Don’t tell me what my comments appear to be doing. I said TLR is an @$$hole, nothing more nothing less.

As for the editing, I was just trying to help you look a little less stupid. I’ll let you bask in your stupidity in all its glory from now on.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

“I comment on articles to have productive baseball discussions and make smart @$$ comments.”

“Don’t tell me what my comments appear to be doing.”

As someone who is an admitted smart ass…I always try to take things with a grain of salt.
        One would think someone who likes making smart ass comments would also take things with a grain of salt and be a little less sensitive.
        Please know I will make a note of your sensititives and make a concerted effort to refrain from responding to your future smart ass posts.

• nightman13 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Apparently I need to spell things out for you. Changing the gender of my screen name is neither witty nor particularly funny. Secondly, everything you said was incorrect or completely off base. Third, I am not sensitive, I was merely pointing out that you are not funny, nor providing any meaningful conversation. In conclusion, your posts offer nothing of value to me and most likely anybody else reading them. Therefore, until you provide something of interest, I am done with you.

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Traumatized superstars wet bigger beds, run higher laundry bills.

2. sportsdrenched.com - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Cano said he would take a home town player, and then didn’t and it’s the FANS that are wrong? OK.

Look I get Billy Butler not being in the HR Derby (after all, it’s not called The Doubles Derby), but don’t say you’re going to take the hometown player if you’re not going to.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yeah, Cano’s picks for the derby were all very deserving, obviously. But he did say he’d pick a hometown guy, and KC looks after their own. Apparently, a Yankee who lies has no love in the Midwest? Who woulda thought?!

It’s really too bad this is reflecting poorly on the city by some’s opinions. Was just a fun night for a city that loves baseball, but has lacked something to unite behind (Royals suck, if you’ve been asleep since ’85).

I will admit: having Cano hit 3 off the wall was great – those woulda been NUKES to right field in NY!

• mattyflex - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

“KC looks after their own”. Yes.

After years and years of losing, and the Glass family, Kansas City still had 90% of the tickets in that joint last night and they really let him have it. Kansas City’s baseball team may suck but that fanbase is unbelievable and will die with that team.

I don’t really think it was that childish; you’re at Kauffman with George Brett in the house and a Yankee blatantly lying about taking a Royal, what did you think would happen?

• vintage1496 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM

“When he was named captain of the AL team, Cano had said he would select a Royal if there was one on the All-Star team, but he was forced to select his squad before the All-Stars were announced. ‘I didn’t lie,’ Cano said. ‘Before they picked him, I had to pick the team.’”

So this is settled then? Everyone realizes KC fans were wrong? Ok, good talk.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM

So, why would you say something like that publicly if that’s what you were dealing with?

Royals Fans aren’t dumb, they know why there is only one All-Star from this team. And they would completly understand why Country Breakfast wasn’t in the HR Derby (after all, every good Royals fan knows the Royals single season HR record is still only 36 by Steve Balboni…BEFORE the “steriod era”) they wouldn’t have complained about it….except to the Royals front office for thinking small ball in the AL is a good strategy.

However, Cano said some stuff publicly. Words may not mean things out on the coasts, but here in the heartland they do, and that’s why Cano got booed off the field last night.

• randall351 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I have issue with him saying that he didn’t know the KC representative. A quick search in a few archives shows that Butler was announced as an All Star on 7/1; Cano didn’t announce the HR team until late 7/2.

Now I don’t know why he would have to pick a team more than a day in advanced, but he probably had already decided on the team prior to Butler being announced.

• screename529 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

“Words may not mean things out on the coasts, but here in the heartland they do,”

Yeah, us folks from modern day Sodom and Gomorrah know nothing of truth or honesty.

• geoknows - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Then why did Cano say on Sunday that he wasn’t picking his team until after he knew who would be on the NL team?

At least one, and possibly both, of his statements is therefore a lie.

• vintage1496 - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Maybe Cano didn’t know the exact timeline of when all-stars would be announced and when his picks for the HR derby were due?

I don’t understand why everyone is being so cynical about this. It’s not like Cano has any reason to go out of his way to fuck over Royals fans. He said he wanted to choose a guy from the home team because that’s what the fans want, but then didn’t and explained why he didn’t. Seems pretty reasonable to me… but I guess I’m not from the heartland so I don’t know.

• mattyflex - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Vintage… Obviously Cano wasn’t around for it, but if you can imagine a time where the Royals were actually a very good team, there was a lot of bad blood between the two teams. I don’t know whether or not that played into it, and I really doubt it did, but it is something to consider.

• vintage1496 - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Matty – I’m totally cool with hating on Cano for that. Hate on him because he’s a Yankee and people tend to dislike the Yankees. Hate on him because Yankees/Royals was a rivalry a few years back. Hate on him because the Yankees have stolen all the Royals’ good players the past few years. All totally acceptable and normal responses. But to boo him because he didn’t choose a hometown player for the HR derby – which he explained was because he had to choose his HR derby team before Butler was named to the all-star team? That’s a little silly.

• mattyflex - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I understand that. And I’m not trying to argue.

Obviously the reason Royals fans are upset is because he said he would take a Royal, he didn’t. That alone, regardless of whether or not he chose his three guys after the all-star team was released or not, is enough for Royals fans to put a price on Cano’s head. By hitting zero home runs, it was like some type of compensation for him not picking Butler. It’s possible that fans got in his head, and if they did, then they got the revenge they sought.

3. 18thstreet - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I thought it was funny. Yankee-hating is a proud and honorable tradition in our country. My grandfathers hated the Yankees. My father hates the Yankees. I hate the Yankees. And, by gum, my children will be raised to hate the Yankees.

It’s harmless, and it’s funny.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Absolutely 18th Street! Yankee bashing is a long running tradition in my family.
      Please know I am proudly carrying on that tradition by brainwashing my 8 & 5 year old Daughters!
      Yankee bashing…it’s a family tradition.

• yournuts - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Thanks guys for your comments, it is people like you that make me love the Yankees that much more. I will always remember your comments when the yanks roll all over your teams. Championship number 28 coming soon.
        A word to the wise, If your children ever do go an live in New York then it is a 68% chance that they will convert to being a huge Yankee fan.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Good thing I don’t have kids. I do have dogs though, and Yankees hats have proven to be phenomenal chew toys

• 18thstreet - Jul 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

My sister lives in Manhattan and has become the biggest Patriots fan I know. I don’t think she even liked football before she moved to New York. And, yes, she still hates the Yankees.

We are the 32 percent! We are the 32 percent!

4. natslady - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Or maybe Cano wasn’t trying hard enough, John Harper. Prince looked exhausted, practically fell asleep with his kid as a pillow (cute, though!). It’s hot, and they have to play tomorrow, and in between give a thousand interviews. Two days off and then Cano is back to the pennant grind, and so is Prince–he hopes… I give credit to any player who even SHOWS UP for the HR Derby. Stupid and boring, and why do I have to watch that fat guy eat ribs???????

• cur68 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Miss, I’m sorry you were made to watch when you didn’t want to. Anyhow, I liked it, so I watched it, even if it did have friggin Berman prattling non-stop throughout. I hate that guy. Thank Dog for the mute button, eh?

You’re right about Kruk, though: watching Kruk eat ribs was cruel. Adam Jones Rambo-ing & eating Kruk’s ribs was funny, since he could do with a gaining a pound or two, but Kruk? That’s like watching a potential heart attack victim stuff his fat face with more calories than family of five needs in a week…actually its EXACTLY a potential heart attack victim stuffing his fat face with more calories than family of five needs in a week.

Did you see when Ole Poopy Pants smeared BBQ sauce on his face trying to wipe of sweat by using Kruk’s Sauce Towel? Thought Kruk was gonna slaughter and consume Ole Pine Tar on the spot, just for smelling so dang deee-licious. That would have been a shame, too.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Leave Kruk alone!

5. icanspeel - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Isn’t the Home Run Derby strictly for entertainment? Why not pick the local player to represent? The fans pay enough to watch the Home Run Derby so they get the right to boo who they want and be disappointed their local guy didn’t make it.

on a side not, Beltran had a nice cheer so the fans didn’t forget him.

6. dreadpirate82 - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Going into it, I thought it was silly that everyone was going to boo, since Butler doesn’t belong in the contest on merit. Then it happened, and I couldn’t stop laughing. Would be even cooler if Cano got a big ovation tonight.

7. Lukehart80 - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

What’s wrong with local fans seeming “provincial?”

I thought the booing of Cano was the highlight of the night (that or Adam Jones wordlessly eating ribs while the ESPN crew spoke with George Brett, which cracked me up), certainly better than 7 batting practice sessions taking 3 hours to get through. Good on the K.C. fans.

• kopy - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I would also like to know what’s wrong with local fans being provincial. If Big Media is so afraid of dissenting opinions, then they can host these events in central Connecticut indefinitely. No one will boo their favorite players there, and no one will care when a player they’ve never heard of wins the derby and is announced on national TV as Jason Morneau.

• atworkident - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM

By definition being a fan of the local team is provincial. How dare you support the local team?

That’s not what baseball is about… you need to either be a Red Sox or Yankees fan everyone knows that.

• bigleagues - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

BY FAR the best moment of the night was Adam Jones devouring the tray of ribs Brett brought the ESPN crew. Brett made some remark about not knowing Jones. Jones barely acknowledged the remark as he seemed entrenched in his own glorious carnivorous heaven.

• pmcenroe - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Brett mentioning poop was also a highlight. I was hoping he would use it as a seqway into retelling this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6hu4aLXv7U

• jeffrp - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Provincial: having or showing the manners, viewpoints, etc., considered characteristic of unsophisticated inhabitants of a province; rustic; narrow or illiberal; parochial:

• CJ - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM

what’s wrong with that? Sounds like most Boston and NY fans I know.

8. skids003 - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Hey, you pay me $15 million, you can boo me all you want. Bunch of babies.

• 18thstreet - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Nothing you (or I) do is worth that much. Are you willing to be booed at your current market-based salary? I wouldn’t enjoy it, either.

But, like I said, I mostly found it funny.

9. stex52 - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Provincial? Do we honestly know a part of the country that is more provincial than the Northeast? I speak from experience.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Depends which parts of the Northeast.

I certainly wouldn’t call NYC “provincial”. There are other, much better words to use if you want to generalize 8MM+ people.

• kopy - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I’ve listened to many people from NYC explain that it isn’t a part of New York because it’s all on islands (never mind The Bronx and Marble Hill), and that the city is “New York” and the state is “New York State.” It’s astounding.

You can’t generalize 8 million folks, but provincial is a word I would start with anyway. Everyone cares about whether you’re from the city or not. If you are, it’s all about what borough you’re from, then neighborhood, and street, until you get to people getting provincial over their particular apartment building.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM

FWIW, I lived in NYC for a long, long time and I never once heard anyone say it’s not really a part of New York (state). Sure, the city is different than the rest of the state, but it’s different than pretty much the rest of the country.

Anyway, the city/neighborhood/block rivalry/superiority thing in NYC is no different from what exists in any other city or town. Looking just at big cities, take LA as an example.

There are just more people, more neighborhoods, more buildings & streets in NYC, and NYC is more part of the broader pop culture than smaller cities are.

• stex52 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

New York City is a marvelous, energetic, multicultural wonderland. I know; I just got back from visiting.

But try convincing them that anything important happens west of the Hudson River. Good luck.

But I was also referring to New Enland, where I have in-laws.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I’m with you on New England.

10. sictransitchris - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Jesus, you people really dislike the Yankees.

• bigleagues - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Yeah.

• geoknows - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Especially lying Yankees. Cano deserved every bit of what he got.

• 18thstreet - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

True story.

11. bigleagues - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Another year, another (billions of) dollar(s), another (colossal) MLB (Selig)All-Star FAIL.

1) I have no problem with Cano being booed.

2) I’m thinking there was a large number of enlightened fans booing MLB and using Cano, because he was captain, as the whipping post.

3) Two SIMPLE FIXes:

a) the captain by default is the host cities home run leader. If he doesn’t want to, or can’t participate, then it’s the second leading Home Run leader and if no one is worthy from the host city, then bring back the previous captain.

b) Have the fans VOTE for the HR derby participants. Whether or not we have the Home Field Advantage contingent on the outcome of the game . . . I can’t think of a better less meaningful exhibition for the fans to have input on than the home run derby. If they get the participants wrong, then who cares?!

3) The All-Star game in general, is childish. BANISHING IT FOR GOOD today would be a day too late for me.

• CJ - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

just a day?

• bigleagues - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Well, yeah! Because we are already into Day 2 of this goofy All-Star Break.

So if we had banished yesterday, then it would just be a few days of discussing what happened in the first half and what could happen in the second half. Which is how I try to play it anyway.

But then idle curiosity gets the best of me and I inevitably tune in to see what mess is on the horizon for Selig to mishandle.

• CJ - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I see what your point. Mine was doing so 10 years ago wouldn’t have been soon enough.

12. stinkfingers - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yankee fans weren’t so sensitive when they were hauckin loogies on Cliff Lee’s wife. Just sayin.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Didn’t happen, but if you repeat something enough I guess it becomes fact.

• Cyn - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

So Kristen Lee wasn’t harassed by Yankees fans? She lied about getting spit upon and having beer thrown on her? (Honest question because I was under the impression that this happened was well-accepted as fact.)

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Turns out, that whole story about fans spitting on his wife never really happened.

“That was way overblown,” Lee said. “No one came up to my wife and spit on her. You go to any stadium, fans start cheering, especially in the post‑season, fans are going to say something, they’re going to do things like that. That story was way overblown, it was false, and had zero to do with anything.”

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM

That’s meant to be a quote from the article above the link.

• sictransitchris - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Who’s being sensitive about this except John Harper? I think the boos were petty but I don’t have a problem with people doing it.

13. daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM

What got me about the booing/derisive cheering is how personal it was. They weren’t sounding off agianst a Yankee or the Yankees, they were going after a person who deferred a question about choosing someone who shouldn’t have been in the top ten choices, much less a lock, for the Home Run Derby.

Everyone – and I’m a Yankee fan – expects Yankee players to be booed in opponents’ parks, but by the end of Cano’s time at bat it had escalated to the point where the crowd really sounded like an angry mob.

Plus, Cano’s dad was there. And this was for charity. Have some class, KC. It was just an embarrassing showing for the town and its fans.

• randall351 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

They were booing a person who brought it upon himself by stating that he would pick a hometown player, and then reneged on it when it came down to it.

It wouldn’t have matter if he was a Yankee, a Blue Jay, or a Mariner, he did it to himself, the fact that he happened to be a Yankee was just a coincidence.

Evidently everyone has forgotten about how Prince Fielder got lambasted last year, and I don’t remember anyone calling the Arizona fans “classless”.

• cur68 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM

There’s an alternative scenario here, y’know? Cano was TOLD to select someone with HR power (and this is just NOT Butler, y’know?). Why would he be told this? Because a certain AL manager, for whom he works, and who expects to be in the WS, WANTS HF advantage. Probably becasue in one of those binders this nameless manager totes around there’s a crayoned note that HF Advantage wins the WS more often than not.

Cano, being Cano, wouldn’t rat out his boss so he wears this one. Perhaps THIS is why he said one thing and did another with a half-assed excuse thrown in? Certainly explain some things unfolding they way they did, now wouldn’t it?

• randall351 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

The only thing is that the HR derby doesn’t mean anything at all, it’s solely for entertainment.
        I agree that Butler is not a HR hitter, so obviously there are better choices. But for the hometown fans who paid $200 for tickets would have appreciated seeing a Royal in what will probably be the last All Star Weekend in most of their lifetimes.
        I don’t think that someone pressured him to pick one way or the other.
        He basically opened his mouth and firmly inserted his foot, which is what brought on the wrath of the hometown fans.

• normswifevera - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Actually, they were going after a person who said he would put a Royals player on his team, then didn’t, then “deferred a question” about why he went back on what he said.

And if Butler shouldn’t have been among the top 10 choices, then it’s Cano’s fault for bringing up the idea, isn’t it?

• kopy - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

The return of my favorite username.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM

It is pretty good.

14. sjesse6 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Dear daisycutter: B. O. O. H. O. O.

• daisycutter1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Any reason for the capitalization and periods?

15. normswifevera - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Just to share it, here’s the video of Cano specifically saying he would put a Royal on the Derby team:

• vintage1496 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM

• geoknows - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Then how about his statement on Sunday that he wasn’t picking his team until he knew who would be on the NL HR derby team? Sounds like he was trying to CYA. I’ll conced that Bautista and Fielder were locks for the All Star team, but Trumbo sure as heck wasn’t. Somewhere here is a lie, probably multiple ones.

• vintage1496 - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Maybe the NL team is picked before the AL team, because the AL has home-field advantage? I said it up top and I’ll say it again: I don’t know why everyone is assuming Cano did this on purpose or to piss people off or something. I know people love to hate on the Yankees, but this is a bit of a stretch.

• CJ - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM

vintage, no reason to hate the yankees is ever considered a stretch. it’s one of the unwritten rules of the game, see page 47.

• 18thstreet - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I really need to clarify that — for me, anyway — “hating” the Yankees is mostly in good fun. Sports are way more fun with villains. Any Yankee fan who doesn’t understand why the rest of us root against you is someone I really wouldn’t like spending time with.

Normal people do not root for Goliath unless he’s a member of the family, even when the opponent (say, Boston) is not exactly David.

• normswifevera - Jul 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM

But Cano knew Mike Trumbo was going to be an All-Star? Really?

Nobody with a brain is claiming that Cano purposely misled the fans in KC. But he DID mislead them. So they let him know what they thought of it.

Hilariously and predictably, Yankee fans and some of the protective east coast media shills haven’t been able to handle it.

16. makeham98 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Seeing how the homerun derby is about as exciting as the slam dunk contest . . . Cano being booed was about the most interesting part of this three hour “spectacle.”

Good for the KC fans, at least they were still paying attention.

17. rcali - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Home Run Derby isn’t as fun as it was when the players were juicyn’. They should have Barriod Bonds rub “flaxseed oil” on all the hitters before the contest.

18. bronxbomber213 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Who cares about the KC fans…let them boo cano in the derby and let them boo him at the game
    tonight because next time the yanks come to town and Robbie comes up with the bases chucked they will be shitting in their pants!!! Boo all you want KC have fun in last place for years to come!

• giantola - Jul 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

You should check the standings moron. Another dumb New Yorker who has no clue what they’re talking about. You probaly work on Wall ST. DOUCHE BAG!

19. Jonny 5 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Who really gives a &*^%%$! who was booed? I don’t even think Cano cared or is bothered enough to argue about it. Yet people on the interwebual tubes must argue this most ridunkulous “issue”. Humans make me want to barf up a circuit board or two.

20. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Moustakas would have been a better pick than Butler for the Derby if you’re going with a Royal. He has hit some serious bombs this year.

When Cano popped up for the first and second outs I laughed because the cheers were so loud. But it kind of wore off after 3 or 4 outs.

21. eshine76 - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Players get booed for less (especially in NY), so I’m not sure why there is so much crying over this. It was an exhibition and it was all in fun. Do you think those fans actually HATE Cano because of that? I seriously doubt it. They were giving him a hard time. Cano has been through worse and has accomplished too much for this to affect him. Cano is going to be ok. Let’s get over it.

22. echech88 - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Leave it to the outrageously pretentious baseball media to take it upon themselves to scold baseball fans for having fun at an otherwise boring, overpriced industry circle jerk.

The idea that a fanbase that has had their roster perennially looted by big market clubs like the Yankees somehow is expected to kneel, pledge allegiance and suddenly love these guys is silly and, frankly, offensive to anyone who enjoys rivalries, underdogs and all the other competitive aspects that make sports dramatic and entertaining.

Their fans were being lighthearted and having fun. The day small market fans start loving the Yankees is the day baseball will no longer matter.

23. crali - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

We always hear how St. Louis fans are so nice — they never boo anyone. Really? Did anyone see how they treated Heath Bell as he slowly and methodically blew his last save before the break there?
    Then there’s KC – if this was the mid 70′s/early 80′s I get KC hating on NY — there was a great rivalry then. Now? KC stinks and acted like a mean, angry mob.
    Robbie may be used to being booed as a Yankee but his father — I don’t think his father is used to seeing his son booed and he was clearly very upset about his father. Granderson, who traveled with Robbie and his father this summer saw it and that’s why he went to his dad not to Robbie.
    Yes, I’m sensitive about it. KC hates the Yanks — OK, so beat them on the field – you’re like bullies. You pick on a guy like Cano — I CARE. Why? Robbie Cano didn’t get there the easy way – he wasn’t a free agent signing. His father was away from home most of his childhood working in the minors trying to pitch in the major leagues and then eventually in Asia while his mother worked as a domestic in the US. Robbie missed his parents so much they brought him here even though he didn’t speak English. He had a ROUGH time through those years so they took him home where he dedicated himself to learn to play ball, learn English, and learn to succeed. And he loves his father so much – so all of you Yankee haters — stay classy and find yourselves some great players that don’t get into to trouble and love their parents like Robbie Cano — and let’s see what happens next year when the Derby is again in NY. Oh, BTW, did Yankee fans boo Hamilton when he ran away w/the HR Derby? Robbie’s a winner and he wanted his team to win – I don’t think he thought he’d go 0-fer but he was too tired to be in that Derby after playing 4 L-O-N-G games in 3 days (+ getting hit in the hand) so he chose the players he thought could help the AL win — Oh that’s right, KC doesn’t even care who wins the All-Star game since they’re not going to the World Series this year.
    And those “fans” who spent the $$ on that plane? How about taking care of the people who are hurting from the weather disasters with that $$?
    Booed Matt Cassel too – equal opportunity bad sportsmanship, I guess. Yes, I know it’s MO but remember the book, T. Frank “What’s the Matter With Kansas”? That says it all- Stay Classy out there fans.

• nategearhart - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

What a load of crap. You’re telling me Yankees fans don’t boo baseball players who worked hard to get where they are, love their parents, seem like decent people, and speak more than one language? Please. Ever boo Javier Vazquez?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Good post Nate.
        On a separate note (not that it matters)…but I would still take Pete over Larry.
        Sorry…I couldn’t let it go.

• randall351 - Jul 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

This is all I could think about after reading that rambling of post.

24. mybrunoblog - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I stopped caring about the home run derby about 10 years ago. Last time I checked there is a game tonight.
    That’s all I am interested in.

25. thatyankeedude - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Ha Cano is arguably the best player on the best team in baseball, sure nobody wants to get booed but when the boos come from fans on a team that never has anything to cheer for in the first place I don’t think he gives a crap

• geoknows - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM

When did Cano start playing for the Rangers???

• ssazz - Jul 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Cano doesn’t play for the Rangers, he plays for team with best record in the majors, the Yankees. He also wears a WS ring as a Yankee, but hey those AL pennants are cute just the same.

Three legends off to Cooperstown