All-Star Game ratings up, social media activity goes bonkers

Jul 11, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT

old TV

The numbers are out for last night’s All-Star Game and they’re pretty good:

The All-Star Game telecast on Fos drew an 8.1 metered market rating according to data from Nielsen, representing a +3% increase over the 7.9 from last year’s game in Phoenix. Fox won the night in prime time, beating its nearest competitor by 47%.  St. Louis led all markets with a 20.5 rating, followed by host Kansas City which averaged an 18.7 and Detroit which delivered a 16.1.  Among the markets seeing the biggest increase in ratings over last year were Detroit (+50%), Washington (+36%), Los Angeles (+27%) and Dallas (+27%).

Not bad considering it was a crap game, competitively speaking, ending before it really started. And the 50% increase for Detroit must have been a function of that can’t-look-away-from-a-car-crash thing with respect to their boy Justin Verlander.

MLB is also touting all of the social media buzz surrounding the game. Specifically, that initiative they launched this year in which players tweeted from the ballpark after they were removed from the game:

On social media, the All-Star Game generated 807,603 total public Twitter and Facebook comments, a 257% increase over last year’s All-Star Game (226,461), based on data from Bluefin Labs.  In fact, by the end of the first inning last night there were already more social media comments than the entire 2011 All-Star Game generated.  Among 27 different All-Star related topics that trended worldwide on Twitter last night, the hashtag #ASG was used in 245,362 social media comments making it the most trended term for the telecast (30.4% of all comments).

I would guess there is some relationship — the nature of which I have no idea, but I suspect exists anyway — between social media buzz and ratings. Maybe it’s weak. Maybe it’s counterintuitive, but I bet it’s something.

1. vansloot - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I generally just follow them new-agey sabermetric-type writers on Twitter, but if my timeline is any indication, half of those 245,362 social media comments were of the type “Boy, this game is pointless #asg”.

2. icanspeel - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Do the ratings count for the whole game? I would guess lots tuned in early and tuned out once it was 8-0 or maybe even 5-0

• ajcardsfan - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Not sure, I quit watching after I got to see Dickey pitch

3. timstl - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM

This just goes to show you how much people don’t want instant replay in baseball.

• vallewho - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Yeah Bud

4. lessthanittakes - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

“St. Louis led all markets…”
    The #BFIB strike again.

5. sir1389 - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I read a SI article that said St. Louis leads in TV ratings of the All Star game every year for the past few decades except for the year it was in Pittsburgh where the home city watched the most.

6. adk77 - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Up 3%, yea but… last year’s figure was an all-time low for the Midsummer Classic.

• CJ - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM

don’t use all the facts, then Selig can’t justify the status quo.

• 18thstreet - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I don’t understand why I’m supposed to care about ratings. Do I work for Fox? For an advertiser?

I don’t understand why anyone cares.

7. mybrunoblog - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Man did that game suck or what? What a stinker.

8. countertrey44 - Jul 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

You saw the headline… And still read it . You care

9. foreverchipper10 - Jul 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

There was something in my paper today stating that the ratings were at an all-time low. Talk about conflicting reports.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3390)