Jul 11, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Crawford is coming back from offseason wrist surgery and admitted recently that he’ll need Tommy John elbow surgery at some point, yet it was the groin strain that has held things up for the past week or so.
Because he’s technically re-starting the rehab assignment his 20-day window to play in the minors will re-start as well, meaning the Red Sox could potentially keep Crawford off the active roster until August 1 even if he can avoid more setbacks.
If/when Crawford returns the Red Sox may look to shop an outfielder, but that’s obviously not a consideration yet considering he hasn’t played a big-league game since last September and Jacoby Ellsbury is also still on the disabled list.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)