Jul 11, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Crawford is coming back from offseason wrist surgery and admitted recently that he’ll need Tommy John elbow surgery at some point, yet it was the groin strain that has held things up for the past week or so.
Because he’s technically re-starting the rehab assignment his 20-day window to play in the minors will re-start as well, meaning the Red Sox could potentially keep Crawford off the active roster until August 1 even if he can avoid more setbacks.
If/when Crawford returns the Red Sox may look to shop an outfielder, but that’s obviously not a consideration yet considering he hasn’t played a big-league game since last September and Jacoby Ellsbury is also still on the disabled list.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)