Jul 11, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Crawford is coming back from offseason wrist surgery and admitted recently that he’ll need Tommy John elbow surgery at some point, yet it was the groin strain that has held things up for the past week or so.
Because he’s technically re-starting the rehab assignment his 20-day window to play in the minors will re-start as well, meaning the Red Sox could potentially keep Crawford off the active roster until August 1 even if he can avoid more setbacks.
If/when Crawford returns the Red Sox may look to shop an outfielder, but that’s obviously not a consideration yet considering he hasn’t played a big-league game since last September and Jacoby Ellsbury is also still on the disabled list.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)