Jul 11, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Crawford is coming back from offseason wrist surgery and admitted recently that he’ll need Tommy John elbow surgery at some point, yet it was the groin strain that has held things up for the past week or so.
Because he’s technically re-starting the rehab assignment his 20-day window to play in the minors will re-start as well, meaning the Red Sox could potentially keep Crawford off the active roster until August 1 even if he can avoid more setbacks.
If/when Crawford returns the Red Sox may look to shop an outfielder, but that’s obviously not a consideration yet considering he hasn’t played a big-league game since last September and Jacoby Ellsbury is also still on the disabled list.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)