Jul 11, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Crawford is coming back from offseason wrist surgery and admitted recently that he’ll need Tommy John elbow surgery at some point, yet it was the groin strain that has held things up for the past week or so.
Because he’s technically re-starting the rehab assignment his 20-day window to play in the minors will re-start as well, meaning the Red Sox could potentially keep Crawford off the active roster until August 1 even if he can avoid more setbacks.
If/when Crawford returns the Red Sox may look to shop an outfielder, but that’s obviously not a consideration yet considering he hasn’t played a big-league game since last September and Jacoby Ellsbury is also still on the disabled list.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 151
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39