Jul 11, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
There’s nothing quite so patriotic as using a cheat sheet to sing the anthem.
Luke Bryan’s rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner at Tuesday night’s All-Star Game was met with pretty scathing reviews, not only because of its length, but because he appeared to keep checking his hand and watch during the performance.
Morning everyone. I really wanna explain the national anthem performance from last night.
I had a few keys words written down to insure myself that I wouldn’t mess up. I just wanted to do my best. I promise it was from the heart.
If I offended anyone with my approach I sincerely apologize. Anytime I sing the anthem it is an honor and my heart beats out of my chest.
I did check my watch because I knew the stealth bomber would fly over 2 minutes in and I knew a started a little late.
Being a part of the all star game was amazing and I look forward to the next time I can perform the anthem. Thanks y’all. Love ya
You might not want to wait by the phone, Luke. FOX already has plans to have the 2013 All-Star Game anthem performed as a medley featuring six American Idol runners-up.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 6
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 32
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)