Jul 11, 2012, 9:33 AM EST
Robinson Cano had no problem with fans in Kansas City booing him for leaving Royals designated hitter Billy Butler out of the Home Run Derby, but when the harassment at Kauffman Stadium extended to his family members that was another story.
Cano said he felt fans “went over the line” by yelling things at his mother and father as they left their seats to use the bathroom, explaining:
This is a game. We’re All-Stars. And if I get booed, I don’t really care. But when they start with your family, that’s over the line. Thank God they didn’t do anything more. You don’t want people to take it too far and do something to your family. It’s just a game. You want to have fun with it and go home with some good memories.
I personally can’t imagine caring enough about the Home Run Derby to even be upset with Cano about Butler’s exclusion, but regardless of that the notion that going after a guy’s family is something that crosses someone’s mind is pretty scary.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)