The craft beers at all 30 major league ballparks

Jul 11, 2012, 3:32 PM EST

generic beer

UPDATE: Hearing from many of you that the linked list is incomplete at many ballparks, particularly Miller Park, but likely others too. Sorry, dudes. Let’s consider it a sampler.

Oh, and it doesn’t include Rogers Centre, so it’s only 29 parks too.  Blah.

3:32 PMA clip-and-save link from Slyoyster.com: the Major League Baseball Craft Beer Guide.  It lists what’s available at all 30 parks.

Really shocked that all you can get at Fenway is Sam Adams and Harpoon. That can’t be right, can it? And don’t give me “well, it’s local and local dominates.”  Busch Stadium in the most single-beer dominated town in the country, and it has a bigger selection.

And by the way: why hasn’t generic beer, like that pictured to the right, made a comeback yet? I can’t imagine that hipsters wouldn’t drink that stuff up like crazy. It’s the cardigan sweater, old fashioned camera and complicated glasses of the beer drinking world.

Anyway, enjoy.

1. nixonotis - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I’ll take a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or a Dogfish Head IPA, please. Unfortunately, the beer selection, like most of the concessions at Yankee Stadium, is an embarrassment. Boy, do I hate that ballpark.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM

… Thats all you can get at Fenway? You can get more at their Portland Seadogs AA afiliate

2. paperlions - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Yeah, that is pretty much it at Fenway (besides Bud, Bud lite, etc.). It is very strange because there are a crap load of great breweries in the Northeast, and Sam Adams isn’t one of them.

• willsolo - Jul 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Sam Adams tastes like feet… Not that I know what feet tastes like….

3. notthatandyj - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM

That list WAY underrepresented the beers available at Target Field. A simple look at the TF website shows: Summit, Grainbelt & Grainbelt Nordeast, Schell’s, Finnigans, Red Bridge Gluten Free, and Lift Bridge.

• seanthegreatest - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Now that you mention it. The Anaheim list Is missing quite a few. They like most have Sierra, Sam Adams, and Anchor. You can also get the usual suspects. Stella, Heineken, Guiness, ect. All on tap obviously.

• jarathen - Jul 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Mmmm, Anchor.

• deepflakes - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Go for the grain . . . Grain Belt. Wish we could Grain Belt here in DC.

4. seanthegreatest - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Didn’t realize how spoiled Giants fans are with thier selection. As much as I love Bootleggers, Lagunitas is a little better. If only someone could get Russian River. I would move. Seriously, I would.

• bobulated - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Russian River is amazing stuff. But I can drink Anchor, Lagunitis or Sierra Nevada all day too so no complaints about AT&Ts selection here except that I can buy a sixer and have change back from the Safeway a block away for what I pay for one 16 oz inside the park.

• seanthegreatest - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I missed the release on Pliny the Younger this year. Soooo pissed. Alas, I drowned my sorrows with some Pliny the Elder. Love that stuff!!!

5. lookatmike - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I was really hoping the article was going to point out something I’d missed at Fenway. I mean, I can get by on Harpoon and Sam — hell of a lot better than Bud, at least — but they’re never my first choice. Oh well.

And both breweries, by the way, have some great stuff — Harpoon’s Leviathan imperial IPA is very comparable to a Dogfish 90, for example — but they’re all smaller batch stuff that you’re unlikely to find on tap anywhere. It’s the high volume stuff that’s sadly just meh.

6. mybrunoblog - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I like beer. No wait, I love beer but when I’m at the ballpark I usually have only one. Maybe two if its super hot out. That said I am quite happy with Miller Lite. Why fix something if it isn’t broken?

• mybrunoblog - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I almost forgot. I absolutely love the photo with this post. No Name Beer! You youngins probably don’t remember that brand but I clearly remember my uncle drinking that stuff years ago. Cool nostalgia moment for me.

• metalhead65 - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I worked at the brewery where they made generic beer which was actually F

• metalhead65 - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I worked at the brewery where thay made that beer and it was actually Falstaff Beer with the generic label on it. was all they had 1 weekend at the employee beer store so took 2 cases and went to time trials at the indy track where everyone made fun of it. had the last laugh when I sold a six pack to 2 of the jokers who had laughed at me earlier after thiers was gone for the price I paid for the 2 cases! those were the good old days.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I’m actually the weirdo that hates beer. White Russian, please.

• nixonotis - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Dude?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Obviously you’re not a golfer.

• ajcardsfan - Jul 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Nobody f***s with The Jesus, or at least Matt Stairs

• bobulated - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Vicente Padilla says you’re better off drinking a woman’s drink. ;)

• snowbirdgothic - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Pedro Gomez has never denied hating beer.

8. ezthinking - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM

For God’s sake there’s a brewery IN Coors Field and they don’t list it – alternatively called the Blue Moon Brewery or the Sandlot Brewery.

• bobulated - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Blue Moon is not a micro, it’s made by Coors. Still good beer but not a craft beer IMHO.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Right, just like Shocktop is InBev/A-B’s attempt to to trick unsuspecting consumers into thinking they’re drinking craft beer.

• ezthinking - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Blue Moon is owned by Coors, but the Blue Moon in the park is brewed onsite and they use the park for testing new brews. Kind of the definition of craft beer.

• bobulated - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

If your definition of craft beer is a multinational conglomerate making small batches off site, sure whatever.

• ezthinking - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Have fun with your tin pot moonshine then.

• bobulated - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

What really annoys me about people thinking Blue Moon is a craft beer is that some of the best craft beers in the country are made in the Denver area. Besides Belgium Brewery only being a couple of hours away, in the Denver area you have Oskar Blues, Boulder Brewing, Avery, Lefthand, etc. Colorado is one of the best craft beer scenes in the US yet because a big corporation tells you something is craft beer because they make a little less of it than Coors it’s the “definition”. Nice. The reason Blue Moon is the “craft” beer at Coors is because of the name on the stadium, pure and simple.

• ezthinking - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

FYI – the Brewers Association has the Blue Moon Brewing Co. at the Sandlot, Coors Field as a member of the of the organization in support of craft brewing.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Odell is also in Ft Collins.

9. goawaydog - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I can’t believe this is a complete list from either Oakland or S.F. now I am going to have to go to the game this weekend and do some research.

• willsolo - Jul 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Do you need a 2nd researcher???

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Have fun, but I hope you’re taking BART.

10. kopy - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Minnesota is home to the 2nd oldest family-owned brewery in the US (after Yuengling), Schell’s Brewing Co., and it isn’t on the list. They sell a handful of different beers at Target Field.

• kopy - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

The issue with this list seems that it only has the brewer, and not the varieties. A stadium could list only 1 craft brewer even though they may provide a lot of beers. Then there’s a situation like Leinenkugel’s, who is a craft brewer that missed this list because they were recently acquired by MillerCoors. Unless they’re not cool to hipsters anymore because they “sold out.” It still tastes the same.

• JB (the original) - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

If by “recently” you mean 24 years ago…… (when Leinies was bought out by a pre-SAB Miller)

• kopy - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I guess time flies…

• ajcardsfan - Jul 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Leinenkugel’s is my favorite sipping beer, my favorite flavor is a toss up between Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat

11. sportsdrenched.com - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Can you still get a Hamm’s in the Twin Cities? Don’t ask why I want to know, it’s an inside joke.

• kopy - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Yes, and very easily. Most liquor stores have 12-packs. There are bars here and there that will have it as well.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I had a Hamm’s in Westport (KC) about 6 years ago, and haven’t seen it since. My Dad was telling me about the cartoon bear that used to be on TV, and that it used to be a lot more popular than it is now.

So, of course I Youtubed a bunch of Hamm’s TV ads. Those are awesome.

• deepflakes - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Hamm’s– The Beer Refreshing. They also made some of the best bar lights and clocks you’ll ever see

12. sdelmonte - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I am not much of a drinker, but I just love that Citi Field has a better selection than Yankee Stadium. We are better than them at something!!

13. busch30pack - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Am I the only one that noticed that the list was compiled by one Mr. Furbush? …I really feel for any women that are in his family.

14. basiltharat - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Someone with the Phillies must be some kind of beer lover because the selection at Bright House Field — home to the Clearwater Threshers, the Phillies’ FSL affiliate — smokes the Trop’s: Cigar City, Victory and Dogfish Head on tap, several solid to excellent beers in bottles. (Nicer ballpark than the Trop, too.)

15. pinkfloydprism - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

“Really shocked that all you can get at Fenway is Sam Adams and Harpoon. That can’t be right, can it?”

No, it is not right. The article clearly lists Wachusett too :)

16. sportsdrenched.com - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I had a Boulevard Wheat from the dude who has a keg on his back the last time I was at Kauffman. I paid for the novelty, now that I’ve had it once the novelty is worn off.

17. Moon Man, the Cool Cat - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I heard many a good thing about Dogfish Head, but when I went to purchase some, they don’t ship here anymore. At least we have New Glarus here.

18. tmohr - Jul 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

What, no Iron City at PNC Park? Or is that just for Steelers fans?

19. j0esixpack - Jul 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Ahhh… Generic beer. Around New England it was brewed by Falstaff and wasn’t half bad… It wasn’t even the cheapest beer – but it was close.

In college I used to pick up a few sixes, and head to a party. The generic beer got everyone’s attention and more than a few people wanted a can just for the heck of it.

I’d then trade my generic beer for good beer like Heineken and others.

Good memories!

20. proudlycanadian - Jul 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Rogers Centre was left out; however, the beer sold there is rather generic. Just across from the front entrance of Rogers is the Steam Whistle Brewery which produces tasty beer.

21. weaselpuppy - Jul 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Craft Beer City USA 2012? Grand Rapids, MI baby…get some Founders Centennial IPA and Brewery Vivant Big Red Coq and Bell’s Two Hearted (Kalamazoo, but close)…yeah boy!

22. Steve A - Jul 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I’m along with the others and Craig that this list is incomplete. Comerica Park also has a couple of beers from Atwater Block Brewery.

However, given the number of microbreweries in Michigan (5th most in the country), the lack of selection at Comerica is almost criminal.

23. micker716 - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Why is “slyoyster” (whatever that is) being cited as a legitimate source? I can only speak for Petco, not even close.

24. Shayna - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Go here for a report on the beer situation at Rogers Centre nee the Skydome. (Stupid @#()(@#*(*$ name changes.)

25. vols84 - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM