Tony La Russa makes it clear: Last night was his last managing gig

Jul 11, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

83rd MLB All-Star Game Getty Images

Prior to the National League’s win last night Tony La Russa was asked if being back in the dugout had him thinking about possibly coming out of retirement, but his response to “is this a one-time thing?” left no doubt that he’s done managing:

Absolutely. I don’t believe that. I know that. I don’t think the commissioner is going to make this a yearly thing, where I’m going to manage the All-Star game. I think it’s one and out.

So if managing again isn’t an option, what is La Russa going to be doing with his time at age 67?

The commissioner’s keeping me busy. But someday, I’ll work in somebody’s [front] office, because I like winning and losing.

Well, mostly winning.

In the meantime he’s reportedly earning $2.5 million per year as a special advisor to Bud Selig, Joe Torre, and Major League Baseball, which isn’t a bad way to spend “retirement.”

1. dutchman45 - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Good riddance

• F14TRex.com - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

One last win for TLR!

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Rik Smits…is that you? I didn’t realize you disliked TLR.
      Hell…I didn’t think Dutch people were even big MLB fans.

2. blues1988 - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

^^ Butt hurt central division rival! Just mad that during his tenure your team never won a world series, while we won 2! GO TLR AND GO BIRDS!

• paperlions - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

You don’t have to tell TLR to go; he’s already gone.

3. stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

On a similar note…
    How about that terrible Starting NL roster than fans voted in?
    How about those underserving players TLR picked up to fill the roster?
    And what about the Players and their horrendous selection of reserves?
    TLR starting Matt Cain in lieu of R.A. Dickey? Psssft.
    The NL has no chance I tell you! Not with that meddling, conniving, revenge driven TLR at the helm.
    His selections, the fans selections, the players selections. Awful!

• paperlions - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

You left out the most important bit if stupidity: because TLR isn’t an active manager, he may not be motivated to win as much as some other manager would have been.

Because all of hoped for negative effects did manifest, people will forget that it happened (and probably find reasons to do it all again about something else minor during the next week or so)….in contrast, if the NL had lost, you can rest assured that there would be a bunch of “see, we told you so” articles/stories/posts/comments.

• paperlions - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Obviously should have been “didn’t manifest”, not “did manifest”

• stex52 - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Now, now. Gloating is unseemly.

But it was kinda cool.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I hear you Suze. Please note that I did wait as long as I could though (after 11:00 A.M.).
        Hell…I got to work at 7:45 A.M. That’s over (3) full hours of gloat-free posting.
        I just couldn’t wait any longer for all those Junior circuit fans to appear.
        Which brings up another point. Kinda’ odd they appear to have dissapeared this morning.
        Hmmmmm.

4. stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Yeah…the word on the street is TLR is behind the whole…AL pitchers hit…NL parks use the DH thing.
    Its an abomination.

• paperlions - Jul 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Wait, are we switching from blaming Bud for every idea we don’t like to blaming TLR?

One reason I have a hard time blaming Bud (despite my disdain for him), is that I’m not convinced he ever has ideas.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Great point with regards to Bud most likely NEVER having any ideas.
        This is very worrisome though as it ultimately means someone is filling his head with these ideas.
        And just so we are clear…
        I am blaming TLR for every bad decision MLB and/or The Budmeister comes up w/.
        If I can somehow angle it to also include him plotting against the Reds, Dusty Baker, Nick Esasky, Marge Schott, #14, Davey Conception, Ron Oester AND Mr. Red…then I get bonus points.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Great point with regards to Bud most likely NEVER having any ideas

Of course he has ideas! He puts together commissions that take 5 years to make a decision for him, but it was Bud’s idea that started it!

• paperlions - Jul 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM

So…his “idea” was to see if maybe someone else had an idea? That sounds about right.

5. stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Point taken Church. The ole’ Budmeister has serious commitment issues.

6. drewsylvania - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Thank god.

7. unlost1 - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM

2 1/2 mil for advising. And that takes up about 20 minutes a week!
    I guess this guy really is a genius.

8. dsimp724 - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Safe to say he’s been hitting the sauce

• jimeejohnson - Jul 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Nope! He’s a vegetarian health-nut who most likely doesn’t drink. It’s YOU who’ve been pounding, ok.

9. ditka96 - Jul 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I bet Dusty Baker is happy

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2951)