Dave Duncan unlikely to return after coaching All-Star game

Jul 12, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT

dave duncan getty Getty Images

Dave Duncan took an indefinite leave of absence as Cardinals pitching coach due to his wife’s health problems, but served on Tony La Russa’s staff for the All-Star game Tuesday night.

However, much like La Russa ruling out a comeback following the game Duncan replied “I don’t think so” when asked if he has plans to resume coaching.

He did leave the door open at least a crack, telling Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:

Maybe somewhere along the line, I’ll talk to people to see what might be available there because I don’t know that I want to be full-time. There’s a lot less pressure doing what I’m doing. I’m busy enough that I don’t [miss coaching]. There’s a lot of responsibility with [his wife]. You’ve got to stay on top of so many different things, like the treatments.

Duncan is technically still under contract with the Cardinals through 2013 and they’re still paying him, so taking a front office job or advisor role or roving instructor gig might be a fit at some point.

1. makeham98 - Jul 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Do right by your wife, Dave. She probably did the parenting while your career kept you away.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, there’s really nothing else to say about this. You’ve been in the game for a long time, Dave. Stay by your family.

2. TheNaturalMevs - Jul 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

As a Reds fan, I won’t miss guys like Kyle Lohse or other recycled arms making a turn around miraculously.

Godspeed to Mrs. Duncan.

3. 78mu - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I hope he stays with his wife as long as she needs him. Good for him if he’s got his priorities straight.

And good for the Cardinals paying him. He’s more than earned it on some of the reclamation projects (Garett Stephenson, Kent Bottonfield etc) over the years.

• borninfellspoint - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM