Jul 12, 2012, 6:58 PM EDT
The St. Paul Saints have never been afraid to court controversy when it comes to promotions. They’ve definitely stepped it up a bit with this one, as they’ll be hosting “A Night of Unbelievable Fun” and renaming themselves the St. Paul Aints on Aug. 10.
The night will be sponsored by the Minnesota Atheists, with the president of the American Atheists throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.
“I think our message here and our brand of entertainment has always been one that’s been inclusive,” Saints GM Derek Sharrer told FOX Sports North. “When we were approached by the Minnesota Atheists, we felt like it was within our nature to be inclusive and certainly work with them to provide them the opportunity to provide their message in the same way that we have worked with hundreds and hundreds of faith-based groups over our 20 years here in St. Paul.”
No word on what else the Aints have planned for the night, but I’ll be disappointed if some fans aren’t invited on to the diamond for infidel practice.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)