Jul 12, 2012, 6:58 PM EST
The St. Paul Saints have never been afraid to court controversy when it comes to promotions. They’ve definitely stepped it up a bit with this one, as they’ll be hosting “A Night of Unbelievable Fun” and renaming themselves the St. Paul Aints on Aug. 10.
The night will be sponsored by the Minnesota Atheists, with the president of the American Atheists throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.
“I think our message here and our brand of entertainment has always been one that’s been inclusive,” Saints GM Derek Sharrer told FOX Sports North. “When we were approached by the Minnesota Atheists, we felt like it was within our nature to be inclusive and certainly work with them to provide them the opportunity to provide their message in the same way that we have worked with hundreds and hundreds of faith-based groups over our 20 years here in St. Paul.”
No word on what else the Aints have planned for the night, but I’ll be disappointed if some fans aren’t invited on to the diamond for infidel practice.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)