Jul 12, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
When it was first reported that Dillon Gee was headed to the disabled list with a blood clot in his right shoulder, Mets manager Terry Collins indicated that Miguel Batista would likely take his place in the starting rotation next Wednesday against the Nationals. However, Collins hedged a bit when asked about prospect right-hander Matt Harvey earlier this evening.
“We’re in the hunt,” Collins told Mike Puma of the New York Post. “This isn’t a tryout camp. So if the people who see [Harvey] say he’s ready, bring him up, I’m all for it.”
Chris Young is also a possibility to make the start on regular rest, which means the Mets could delay a decision on Gee’s replacement until July 21. While Collins called Harvey a “remote” possibility to pitch either game, it’s clear that his major league debut isn’t far away.
Harvey was selected No. 7 overall in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. The 23-year-old right-hander owns a 3.35 ERA over his first 234 innings in pro ball, including a 3.39 ERA and 102/42 K/BB ratio in 98 1/3 innings with Triple-A Buffalo this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 34 prospect in the game on their midseason list.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)