Jul 12, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
When it was first reported that Dillon Gee was headed to the disabled list with a blood clot in his right shoulder, Mets manager Terry Collins indicated that Miguel Batista would likely take his place in the starting rotation next Wednesday against the Nationals. However, Collins hedged a bit when asked about prospect right-hander Matt Harvey earlier this evening.
“We’re in the hunt,” Collins told Mike Puma of the New York Post. “This isn’t a tryout camp. So if the people who see [Harvey] say he’s ready, bring him up, I’m all for it.”
Chris Young is also a possibility to make the start on regular rest, which means the Mets could delay a decision on Gee’s replacement until July 21. While Collins called Harvey a “remote” possibility to pitch either game, it’s clear that his major league debut isn’t far away.
Harvey was selected No. 7 overall in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. The 23-year-old right-hander owns a 3.35 ERA over his first 234 innings in pro ball, including a 3.39 ERA and 102/42 K/BB ratio in 98 1/3 innings with Triple-A Buffalo this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the No. 34 prospect in the game on their midseason list.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 18
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)