Jul 12, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Back in February, the Rangers signed Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5 million. This was a problem, because Beras had previously told MLB that he was only 16 and thus was not yet eligible to be signed. Turned out he was, in fact, 17, and thus was eligible to be signed by the Rangers, but that since he lied about his age, he was subject to discipline.
Today that discipline came: he has been suspended for a year. Jeff Passan, who has been following this story for a long time, has all the details. My take: this is good news for both Beras and the Rangers.
It’s good for the Rangers because they could have had the contract voided by MLB, when in fact they would really like to hold on to Beras. It’s good for Beras because if it were voided, he’d be back out on the free agent market, would likely still be suspended and then be looking to sign another deal at 18, and boy howdy he’d get less money then.
So while he can’t play until next July, he can still train at the Rangers facilities and stay with the team and then be ready to start being a genuine pro while he’s still young and stuff.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (97)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)