Jul 12, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Back in February, the Rangers signed Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5 million. This was a problem, because Beras had previously told MLB that he was only 16 and thus was not yet eligible to be signed. Turned out he was, in fact, 17, and thus was eligible to be signed by the Rangers, but that since he lied about his age, he was subject to discipline.
Today that discipline came: he has been suspended for a year. Jeff Passan, who has been following this story for a long time, has all the details. My take: this is good news for both Beras and the Rangers.
It’s good for the Rangers because they could have had the contract voided by MLB, when in fact they would really like to hold on to Beras. It’s good for Beras because if it were voided, he’d be back out on the free agent market, would likely still be suspended and then be looking to sign another deal at 18, and boy howdy he’d get less money then.
So while he can’t play until next July, he can still train at the Rangers facilities and stay with the team and then be ready to start being a genuine pro while he’s still young and stuff.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 54
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 31
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)