Jul 12, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Back in February, the Rangers signed Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5 million. This was a problem, because Beras had previously told MLB that he was only 16 and thus was not yet eligible to be signed. Turned out he was, in fact, 17, and thus was eligible to be signed by the Rangers, but that since he lied about his age, he was subject to discipline.
Today that discipline came: he has been suspended for a year. Jeff Passan, who has been following this story for a long time, has all the details. My take: this is good news for both Beras and the Rangers.
It’s good for the Rangers because they could have had the contract voided by MLB, when in fact they would really like to hold on to Beras. It’s good for Beras because if it were voided, he’d be back out on the free agent market, would likely still be suspended and then be looking to sign another deal at 18, and boy howdy he’d get less money then.
So while he can’t play until next July, he can still train at the Rangers facilities and stay with the team and then be ready to start being a genuine pro while he’s still young and stuff.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)