Jul 12, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Back in February, the Rangers signed Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5 million. This was a problem, because Beras had previously told MLB that he was only 16 and thus was not yet eligible to be signed. Turned out he was, in fact, 17, and thus was eligible to be signed by the Rangers, but that since he lied about his age, he was subject to discipline.
Today that discipline came: he has been suspended for a year. Jeff Passan, who has been following this story for a long time, has all the details. My take: this is good news for both Beras and the Rangers.
It’s good for the Rangers because they could have had the contract voided by MLB, when in fact they would really like to hold on to Beras. It’s good for Beras because if it were voided, he’d be back out on the free agent market, would likely still be suspended and then be looking to sign another deal at 18, and boy howdy he’d get less money then.
So while he can’t play until next July, he can still train at the Rangers facilities and stay with the team and then be ready to start being a genuine pro while he’s still young and stuff.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)