Reggie Jackson apologizes for “inappropriate and unfair” comments about Alex Rodriguez, Hall of Famers

Jul 12, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez, Reggie Jackson

Reggie Jackson made headlines recently for saying in a Sports Illustrated interview that Alex Rodriguez‘s numbers should be questioned because of performance-enhancing drugs and Kirby Puckett, Gary Carter, Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, Don Sutton, and Phil Niekro shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame.

That predictably caused a mini-uproar and he reportedly apologized personally to several of those offended parties, but today he issued an official statement–through the Yankees–apologizing in public to the whole group:

In trying to convey my feelings about a few issues that I am passionate about, I made the mistake of naming some specific players. This was inappropriate and unfair to those players, some of which are very close friends of mine. I think there are ways to speak from the heart without hurting people, and I’m disappointed that I didn’t take greater care in expressing my views.

I have been proactively reaching out to make personal apologies to those within the Hall of Fame community that I offended, and to the Yankees organization for any disruption that I caused in the clubhouse. I continue to have a strong relationship with the club, and look forward to continuing in my role with the team. As always, I remain dedicated to the great game of baseball.

There’s been some hair-splitting about whether the Yankees telling Jackson to stay away from the team on their recent road trip qualified as a “ban” or just a request to let things cool off, but either way it’s pretty easy to connect the dots and assume that Jackson’s apology comes as a stipulation for his getting back into the team’s good graces.

It’s also worth noting that his apology doesn’t actually involve taking back anything he said about Rodriguez or the various Hall of Famers–two of whom are deceased–but rather focuses on the mistake being naming names and going public with his thoughts. Since the statement came through the Yankees presumably they’re satisfied with the wording and overall tone, and Jackson will resume his duties as “special advisor.”

1. pjmitch - Jul 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Too late Reggie. You are an ass

• stumblebum76 - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Hope Billy Martin doesn’t come back from the dead & kick his a–, again.

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I made the mistake of naming some specific players.

Holy crap someone actually took it up himself to apologize, and not use the “sorry if you were offended” crap that seems so prevalent in today’s society.

• seanthegreatest - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Seriously??? He took it upon himself? Had nothing to do with “The Ban”. Also, not much of an apology. The only thing he is sorry about is NOT talking about them behind thier back. He didn’t say he didn’t really feel this way, but rather “I made the mistake of naming specific players”.

• anythingbutyanks - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

While it is doubtful Reggie took it upon himself to apologize, one must certainly admit that this apology is a hell of a lot better than most celebrity apologies- especially for the reason that church identified, i.e. he apologized for his behavior, not for others’ reactions to it.

• seanthegreatest - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM

“he apologized for his behavior, not for others’ reactions to it.” How do you figur? If the Yankees hadn’t “banned” him, do you really think he would have apologized? Answer: No

3. cur68 - Jul 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Jeez Reggie, think first, talk second. T’aint that hard. I fear this apology is going to do little to get The Universe’s fans off his back, but at least he’s better man for having made it.

• bigharold - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM

” … think first, talk second.”

If he did he not only wouldn’t be Reggie, .. he’d wouldn’t resemble most humans.

I think Reggie is wrong in general, .. shouldn’t have named names, .. AND he only fed the notion that he’s a self centered clown. But at least he fessed up about it so lets move on.

God help me if more people took note of the idiotic crap I said from time to time. I’d get more than the run of the mill thumbs down I’d bet.

4. hcf95688 - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I guess Reggie has turned into a real pussy in his old age.

5. pisano - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

A classic case of closing the barn door after the horses got out.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I don’t really have a problem with Reggie saying what he said if that’s how he really feels. The big problem is he bit one of the hands that feeds him though and this result is no surprise.

7. neelyisgod - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM

He should just stick to one liners like “I must kill the Queen”

8. 65panhed - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I am a lifelong Yankees fan-about 56 years, and Reggie Jackson is not a Yankee. Billy Martrin was a Yankee, albiet flawed, he was a Yankee thru and thru. Reggie Jackson should never have been allowed to go into the HOF in a Yankee uniform. He was the cancer in the clubhouse as opposed to “the straw that stirs the drink” F@&k Reggie and the horse he rode in on.
    Maybe now he will just go lay down…30 years way too late.

• joecool16280 - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Agreed. Funny how he rarely associates himself with the Oakland A’s. He could do a lot for that club but he’s a front runner. Go away old man.

People who tell people how good they are, are generally jack asses.

• hcf95688 - Jul 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

As an A’s season ticket holder, I can tell you that he’s burned his bridges here. Reggie can go F himself.

9. sabatimus - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Inappropriate and unfair…but not inaccurate.

• seanthegreatest - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM

If it is not inaccurate, the how is it unfair?

• sabatimus - Jul 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Because “fair” is a judgment and “accuracy” is about facts.

10. lazlosother - Jul 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I think we should translate.

“I said these things because I’m Reggie F(&**(^&%$#$%%^^g Jackson”. I am sorry that you couldn’t take my outrageous opinions.” “The people I named will still be my friends because I’m Reggie F*&^%%$*&^%^#@$@g Jackson, and that’s the way I roll.”

“There, I’ve kissed appropriate ass. I hope you second rate sh*^&%$^t heads are all happy. F*^&$%%#$@^&^k you. I’m Reggie F&&%%#$@)$%%#$g Jackson, and I approve this message.”

11. retief1954 - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Poor Reggie. In spite of being a HOF player, having a great career, made bazillions of dollars, WS hero, Howard Cosell’s favorite pro athlete to wax poetic about after Muhammad Ali, all that… he still needs NYY to feel relevant, and still needs NYY to feel as if what he thinks and says is important. Case of arrested development, I’d say. Move on to the rest of your life, Reggie. Baseball’s over, and so are the days of reporters sticking a mike in your face a few times a day. Everyone’s long since stopped caring about what you think.

12. alefty - Jul 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Do the juice and get the rewards? Come on Reg, straw that stirs the drink. You are better and stand your ground to the bunch of doper breaking cheats, some who still wear pinstripes.

13. 4d3fect - Jul 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

*yawn*

14. historiophiliac - Jul 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM

No, it wasn’t a mistake to name names. HOF’ers *should* call out the steroid/PED users. I love Hank a little less for supporting Bonds. Hank is king!

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

You think Hank supports Bonds? He hasn’t publicly bashed him but he certainly hasn’t been exactly supportive either.

15. chicagosworth - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM

You USE you LOSE

16. txnative61 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Backhanded apology—like “I value our friendship so I’m sorry I hurt you by telling about sleeping with your wife. Can’t we still be friends? I said I was wrong!”

17. joewilliesshnoz - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Reggie, you shouldn’t talk bad about your ATM machine, you big Dummie !

18. freeagentsignee - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Good job Reggie! Come back soon!

19. fishtales10 - Jul 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Puckett??? You are crazy Reggie.

20. calichowd - Jul 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Maybe Reggie can tell us about the amount of “greenies” floating around The clubhouse in his day.
    Also, what was your lifetime B.A. again!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto