Report: Phillies preparing “substantial” offer for Cole Hamels

Jul 12, 2012, 11:19 PM EDT

Cole Hamels Getty Images

According to ESPN’s Jayson Stark, the Phillies are preparing a “substantial” offer for impending free agent Cole Hamels.

Exact details of the offer aren’t yet known, but Stark hears that the Phillies have had multiple internal discussions about whether to offer more than five guaranteed years. Previous reports have indicated that the club doesn’t have an issue with giving Hamels the yearly salary he covets, likely close to Cliff Lee‘s $24 million AAV (average annual value), but they have been hesitant to go beyond five years.

The Phillies will almost certainly have to make a concession in years to have any chance to keep Hamels from testing the open market. He doesn’t turn 29 until December and is poised to land one of the richest contracts ever for a pitcher.

With Chase Utley and Ryan Howard back and Roy Halladay expected to return soon, Stark hears the Phillies will wait up to two weeks before determining whether it’s time to sell off parts leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. By then, they should have a pretty good indication of whether Hamels is receptive to their offer.

1. lazlosother - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Umm, I root for another major league team. I don’t want to seem disingenuous, but I hope the Phillies decide he’s too expensive. It never hurts to hope.

2. Old Phaithful - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM

This isn’t going to go over well, and I’ve had one too many glasses of really awesome wine, but I’ll say it anyway…”boyfriend”…

back.

Gonna put it to you

Love that song…wish I could get it out of my head. Sorry HBT fans. I’ll stop now.

3. randygnyc - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Phillies should offer him 10 years at 35M per.

• Gonzo - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM

No player is worth that kind of deal.

• Jeremy T - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Not true, Pujols would’ve been if he had been signed to it 10 years ago. That being said, without knowing the future, nobody’s ever enough of a sure thing to be worth that kind of deal.

• wendell7 - Jul 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Not yet.

It won’t surprise me at all if we see a contract like that in the next 4 or 5 years though.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM

There have been players that were worth that kind of deal, but there won’t be a player worth that kind of risk.

Each long-term deal that turns out poorly (and there are more of those than there are long-term deals that turn out well), especially when the last few years represent complete sunk costs, will make owners/GMs more and more leery of deals that are more than 5 yrs long at max prices. You’ll probably see more 3-5 yr deals at high AAVs than 7+ yr deals.

• Jeremy T - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I’m not understanding all the thumbs down on mine when I said basically the same thing as paperlions… Or at least, he said what I meant to say…

4. illad3lph1a - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM

He wants the phills to give in a little bc he deserves it. I have a feeling they will get a deal done. And the phills have been a much better team I’m the 2nd half. That’s been proven over the years since the mets debacle.

• tartan1 - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Most playoff bound teams are better in the second half.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM

The Phillies will have to play .587 ball just to finish at .500. Three teams played that well in the first 1/2.

They will have to play .640 ball to finish with 85 wins, which is far better than any team has played this year.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I doubt the Phillies will play that good in the 2nd Half, but just for the record, playing that well is not impossible. The Phillies have done that. They went .637 last year and in 2010 they went a ridiculous .667, going 50-25.

Will they do that again? I don’t think so. But it’s not some sort of impossible record.

• spudchukar - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

What is next to impossible is envisioning a scenario where the four teams ahead of them all collapse. If anything Miami should have a better second half. The Mets may not be as good as in the first half, but I am betting on the Nats and Braves to continue to be tough. The second wild card offers a ray of hope for Pheelie fans, but unless Worley and Blanton/Kendricks, turn it around significantly, the slim chance for the second play-off WC spot will disappear.

And it isn’t just getting to 85 wins. With Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Cincinnati, all on pace to challenge for a WC slot, some combination of Arizona, Los Angeles, and San Francisco may also vie for the additional play-off spot. So you have to jump over 7 teams to reach the play-offs. The ten best NL records hold a 99.5 game lead on you. Remove the 4 best records and you still have to make up 48 games, a virtual impossibility, when you factor in they will be playing each other. So the chances of play-off game in Philly is virtually nil.

5. keithbangedyermom - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM

phils fans are so cute when they’re in denial.

• whlskey - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I’m sorry, Denial..? I believe denial is what Mets fans felt the entire offseason in 2007 when the Phillies won the division on the last day of the regular season. This after the Mets had a 7 game lead on September 12th and went on to lose 12 of 17, ultimately completing the comeback/collapse depending upon how one chooses to view it, and not only losing the division crown, but also missing out on the playoffs entirely. As a Phillies fan I can tell you that is not what I am in, I’d say I’m more in a Harry Kalas “He’s got high hopes” kind of way, being that yes, the Phil’s have dug themselves a huge hole to climb out of, but with a team just now getting fully healthy and still one of, if not the best starting rotation in all of baseball, I like they’re slim chances. Not too mention we still have an entire half season of baseball left to play, and a somewhat young Nats team in first place with “JUST” a 14 game lead, it would seem to me denial doesn’t compute with Phillies fans.. I mean come on now, the teams nickname is the Phightin’ Phils and some of us may be delusional, but I don’t think denial would be the correct term in this instance. As they always seem to say in all levels of sport when something ridiculous or unbelievable occurs, “And that’s why they play the game.”

• tsi431 - Jul 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM

You obviously have no idea what the definition of denial is.

• protius - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Dude, you’re in denial.

The Phils are going nowhere this season and for many seasons to come. But as you say, they must play the games; relentlessly, over and over, year after year, loss after loss.

They are aging and getting worse, not better, as time goes by.

• whlskey - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Actually, I do. I looked it up in Websters, and by Websters I mean I’ve studied Sigmund Freud extensively enough to understand the concept of denial.. And for what it’s worth, I just gave you enough overwhelming evidence as to why I’m not in denial. The only fact I’ve gotten from the both of you, that you’re telling me is beyond accepting in my opinion, is that the Phillies are getting older. Well, I’ve definitely heard that one enough times already. Every team gets older, because every body in this world continues to get older everyday. And yet, this article in question is about signing a 29 year old ace, but I’m gonna assume that I’m in denial to think that 29 isn’t old just yet. I can also guarantee you that the Phillies front office and Rueben Amaro Jr. will not allow the Phillies to be awful again, game after game, year after year, until all the losing seasons begin to pile up. The Phils management has finally grasped the concept that you have to spend money, to make money. After the Phillies won the World Series in 2008, attendance and sales have never looked back, which means yes, we do have a bunch of bandwagon fans, but what city doesn’t, and it also means that our city cares enough to make a difference. You’re welcome.

• protius - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Whiskey, it seems that you are not only a good fan of your team, but also, you are a loyal son of Philadelphia. Bravo.

Like all other sports franchises experience, the Phils are going through a rough patch and some of the other teams in your division that used to perennially suck, are getting better.

I’m sure that your cycle of suckage will be brief and tolerable. Good luck.

• whlskey - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Now that I can agree upon. Here’s to hoping.. One Love.

• natstowngreg - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Cute? No. “Phillies fans” and “cute” do not belong in the same thought, unless there is a “not” between.

Denial? For some, definitely. I don’t blame them. Their team has had a great run, but that run appears to be coming to an end, and it’s difficult to let go.

6. cameltoehoe - Jul 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Coles’ already said he would resign with the Phils next season EVEN after being traded. Why not rent him to the highest bidder for a couple of prospects & get him back when they’re ready to dominate again? I’m no Phils fan, but this is a no-brainer.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM

What else is he going to say? You can’t leverage other teams into offering a better deal if there is no one else bidding.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM

In a perfect world… but there’s no guarantee he would resign after being rented. Especially if the California boy gets traded to the LA Dodgers who have buckets to spend.

I wouldn’t chance it. Cole needs to be a Phillie for the forseeable future.

7. djpostl - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:25 AM

“Coles’ already said he would resign with the Phils next season EVEN after being traded.”

You got yourself one helluva scoop there buddy

8. ditto65 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM

If Cole was so “Old School” he would install roofs in the off season…

9. dozenz12 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

To Cameltoehoe, who would even remotely consider giving up top prospects for a guy that would opt out at end of year?
    Come on, unless the team were getting a signed deal from Hamels, why even consider the deal?

10. dawglb - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

This is good news for Cole, The Phillies, and The Phillies Fans. I hope it gets done.

11. gemrookie - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM

If Hamels doesn’t say yes to whatever they offer him on day one, Phils should rescind offer and trade him. I’ve always respected Hamels ability. He just doesn’t strike me as a Tier 1 pitcher. Don’t get me wrong, he’s at or near the top of my Tier 2 list. After all, how happy are the Giants for not giving Lincecum a long term deal this past offseason? Just sayin’

12. uyf1950 - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:48 AM

My guess is the Phillies can NOT afford to let him get away. It’s probably going to take 6 years guaranteed at $23 or 24MM per ($138/$144MM) and a 7th year vesting option for probably $25MM. The current Phillies rotation is getting a little long in the tooth for baseball pitchers. Halladay will be 36 next year and if pitches 225 in 2013 his 2014 option vests. Lee will be 34 next year and potentially will be under contract through the age of 37. The Phillies simply can not afford to let a pitcher of Hamels quality slip through their fingers. If money/payroll is a concern they would be best suited to trade Lee and use his money to re-sign Hamels.
    In any case we should find out soon enough.

13. ncphilliesguy - Jul 13, 2012 at 5:42 AM

If/when the Phillies sign Hamels, Craig and paperlion will immediately post that it was the worst contract ever signed, and despite the signing the Phils future is “murky at best”.

If/when the Phillies trade Hamels, Craig and paperlion will immediately post that the Phillies didn’t get enough in return, they can’t believe that they traded their ace, and that their future is “murky at best”.

If/when the Phillies retain Hamels this year but he walks, Craig and paperlion will immediately post that the signing team got “a steal”, they can’t believe the Phils didn’t trade Hamels when they had the chance, and that their future is “murky at best”.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM

If/when ncphilliesguy gets the corn cob out of his sphincter, he’ll be able to relax a bit.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

“murky at best”.

I like how someone writes an article, and a year later pretty much everything he wrote comes true. And people still mock him for it.

• thecapedbandito - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Kind of like the endless hacky old school jokes in reference to Hamels.

• thefacts121 - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It’s not that impressive when people write the same “the Phillies are going to be bad next year” article for 6 consecutive years and have it be correct the 6th time. See, e.g., stopped clocks.

14. dannythebisforbeast - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Lincecum and hamels are two different people. One the giants ha to pay lincecum 2 cy youngs, world series. Lincecum is a little guy who puts everything into a throw just on the surface doesn’t seem like he can last forever. hamels is effortless and knock on wood injury free. Either case wen they perform you have to pay and hope. I wished they signed him after 08 would have him for 15 mil for next couple years

15. keithbangedyermom - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM

They pretty much lost Hamels when they gave Lee his contract. Rightfully so, Hamels is going to want that kind of money. I can’t see Filthy making that commitment. They’ve got too much tied up in Howard, Halladay and Lee. But hey – at least they have a fantastic farm system……oh….wait.

16. kingjoe1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I hope they don’t sign him; the Phillies need a shock to their system before next year. By trading him away for young MLR prospect such as Olt, the team could be reenergized.

• spikeintn - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Under the new free agent compensation rules, I don’t see how any team will trade a top level prospect for a short term rental. Maybe a few A-ball prospects, but not a close to ML ready stud.

17. spudchukar - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Sigmund Freud would have a field day analyzing Pheelie fans. Remember “sometimes it is just a cigar”, and all the psychological contrivances won’t change the fact that you guys are toast in 2012.

18. dkphilly1122 - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Gotta love Nat fans after there stadium has been packed with Phillies fans for years, they finally have a decent team and all of a sudden there selling tickets. Gotta love bandwagon fans. Wait til they start sucking again at some point, the fan base will disappear.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3584)