Jul 12, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
And to the MLBPA, too, for signing away draftees rights in the last CBA.
There’s a good chance this is all just posturing ahead of the Friday 5 p.m. deadline, but several sources are reporting that the Marlins have ended negotiations with No. 9 overall pick Andrew Heaney out of Oklahoma State. The reasoning; Heaney appears to be holding out for the MLB produced slot value of his pick, $2.8 million, while the Marlins are offering less.
So, Heaney is left with the choice of taking less money than MLB decided he was worth where he was picked or going back to school or pitching in indy ball and risking losing a couple of million dollars if he gets hurt.
And this is where major league teams have way too much leverage right now; the Marlins can lowball Heaney knowing that they’ll be compensated with the 10th (or 11th or 12th) pick in next year’s draft if they don’t sign him.
The Marlins aren’t lacking for funds, and what they’re doing now is probably all part of the negotiating process. But if the reports are true, Heaney isn’t asking for anything excessive. This isn’t a Mark Appel situation, where the pitcher wants more than the team can offer. It’s simply a team wielding more power than it should have been given in the first place.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)