Jul 12, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Big news from north of the border: the Toronto Blue Jays have signed Edwin Encarnacion to three-year, $27 million deal. It kicks off next season and runs through 2015. There is a $10 million club option for 2016.
Encarnacion is having a career year, hitting .295/.382/.565 with 23 homers and 58 RBI. The home run total is already a career high. His career high in RBI is 76 and he should surpass that too. He’s 29 years-old.
This is a good deal in my view. It’s not a price that suggests that the Jays are expecting 150 OPS+ production from Encarnacion for the next three years. Indeed, Mark Reynolds will make more over the next two years of his deal than Encarnacion will make over the first two years of his and Mark Reynolds is terrible.
Seems like a solid deal for a guy with an above average bat who just may put up another significantly above average season or two over the next few years. It also takes a potential trade target for many teams off the market.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)