Jul 12, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Big news from north of the border: the Toronto Blue Jays have signed Edwin Encarnacion to three-year, $27 million deal. It kicks off next season and runs through 2015. There is a $10 million club option for 2016.
Encarnacion is having a career year, hitting .295/.382/.565 with 23 homers and 58 RBI. The home run total is already a career high. His career high in RBI is 76 and he should surpass that too. He’s 29 years-old.
This is a good deal in my view. It’s not a price that suggests that the Jays are expecting 150 OPS+ production from Encarnacion for the next three years. Indeed, Mark Reynolds will make more over the next two years of his deal than Encarnacion will make over the first two years of his and Mark Reynolds is terrible.
Seems like a solid deal for a guy with an above average bat who just may put up another significantly above average season or two over the next few years. It also takes a potential trade target for many teams off the market.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)