Jul 12, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT
Shelby Miller, the Cards’ ace pitching prospect, has previously been considered off-limits in any trade discussions. That could change soon, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
Mozeliak must now deal off the top of his minor-league pitching depth to acquire an impact starter. Secondary names such as the San Diego Padres’ Edinson Volquez and Oakland A’s Bartolo Colon could offer value at a lesser price.
For the first time the organization might be willing to include elite prospect Shelby Miller in trade talks.
Miller’s stock has fallen, as he has put up an ugly 4-8 record with a 6.16 ERA at Triple-A Memphis this year. He’s striking out a lot of guys, but man, he is giving up hits, walks and home runs to beat the band. He’s been like the pitching version of a Three True Outcomes guy in his first tour through the PCL.
Ideally you’d like to give him a chance to figure it out, either for the future of the team or to get his trade value back up, but if a package including Miller can net the Cards a starter who can help them overtake the Pirates in 2012, it seems like they gotta do it.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)