Jul 12, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT
Shelby Miller, the Cards’ ace pitching prospect, has previously been considered off-limits in any trade discussions. That could change soon, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
Mozeliak must now deal off the top of his minor-league pitching depth to acquire an impact starter. Secondary names such as the San Diego Padres’ Edinson Volquez and Oakland A’s Bartolo Colon could offer value at a lesser price.
For the first time the organization might be willing to include elite prospect Shelby Miller in trade talks.
Miller’s stock has fallen, as he has put up an ugly 4-8 record with a 6.16 ERA at Triple-A Memphis this year. He’s striking out a lot of guys, but man, he is giving up hits, walks and home runs to beat the band. He’s been like the pitching version of a Three True Outcomes guy in his first tour through the PCL.
Ideally you’d like to give him a chance to figure it out, either for the future of the team or to get his trade value back up, but if a package including Miller can net the Cards a starter who can help them overtake the Pirates in 2012, it seems like they gotta do it.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)