Tim Lincecum: worst pitcher ever!

Jul 12, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

lincecum getty Getty Images

Messing around with endpoints leads to misleading stuff, but there is a certain fun in stuff like this from today’s Wall Street Journal:

If the season ended today, Lincecum (above)—a two-time Cy Young Award winner—would have the worst adjusted ERA, 55, of any pitcher who has thrown at least 95 innings in a season since at least 1901.

And that is true. But the season doesn’t end today, of course, and I am fairly certain that — barring a season-ending injury being the cause of his struggles — Lincecum will improve as the season wears on and have his nightmare season end up, statistically speaking, appear to be merely horrific.

1. darthicarus - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Somewhere Dontrelle Willis was momentarily happy at losing this title.

2. carolinakid - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

No wonder I haven’t seen him doing any espn commercials lately ….

3. mianfr - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Eesh… He was my favorite pitcher until Strasburg started playing professionally. I guess I’m glad Stras came along, or else this would be pretty difficult to watch.

Really hoping he puts it all back together. He’s a fun story, especially for those of us who aren’t exactly 6′ 4″…

4. yuazda - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM

While it is an arbitrary endpoint, the stat is still fairly relevant because if Lincecum suffers a season-ending injury on his next pitch, he’ll hold the aforementioned record.

• headbeeguy - Jul 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I, for one, will never forget where I was when Tim Lincecum set the 95 inning Adjusted ERA record.

5. mybrunoblog - Jul 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

And the Giants are going to shut Lincecum down when?

6. kingjoe1 - Jul 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Cole Hamels for Lincecum, straight up

7. xmatt0926x - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Every time I see this guy now all I can think of is him talking about how he didn’t want to sign a long term contract and preferred to go year by year. Yikes. There’s $150 million he won’t be seeing any time soon.

8. WhyDoIActuallyCare - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

You have to be really good to be that bad. Any lesser pitcher would have been benched, optioned, or released a long time ago…

9. hoopmatch - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Thank God one of my fantasy league owners took Lincecum in a trade for Homer Bailey.

10. jason1214 - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Thank god in my fantasy league, I turned Terrible Tim and R Zimmerman for A Beltre and Peavy.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Boy did you win on that one.

11. imaginesuperbowlwin - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I’ll take Lincecum in exchange for the entire Twins’ staff. Except Liriano.

12. randygnyc - Jul 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

His performance now isn’t surprising. That he was a 2 time CY Young award winner, with his delivery and slight stature is.

13. southcapitolstreet - Jul 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

It happened to Adam Dunn

14. rockthered1286 - Jul 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Brian Matusz likes this.

15. psunick - Jul 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM

This has not been a good news day for a Penn State alum in San Francisco.

16. simonfoster231171 - Jul 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM

No-one talks about how crap Halladay was in 2000 with the Blue Jays (4-7, 10.64 ERA). What’s the likelihood that if this turns out to be a bad season in isolation that no-one will speak of it in a couple of years’ time? http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=hallaro01

17. txnative61 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM

From one perspective it is indeed an honor. To have the opportunity to pitch that badly, one must have demonstrated a truly dominate ability beforehand. Most people expect that ability to return, rather than continue to remain dormant barring a physical disability.

18. txraiderfan - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I don’t think he’s right (physically).

Three legends off to Cooperstown