Jul 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Matt Capps has been out since June 23 with a shoulder injury, but Dan Cook of WCOO reports that the Twins will activate the closer from the disabled list prior to tomorrow’s second-half opener against the A’s.
Glen Perkins and Jared Burton have basically split closing duties in Capps’ absence, with Perkins getting a larger share of the save opportunities, but knowing how the Twins and manager Ron Gardenhire operate there’s little doubt that Capps will slide back into the ninth-inning role.
Minnesota would surely love to see Capps put together a healthy, effective half-dozen appearances in order to build up some value heading into the July 31 trade deadline, although they’ll be lucky to get a marginal prospect for him either way.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)