Jul 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Matt Capps has been out since June 23 with a shoulder injury, but Dan Cook of WCOO reports that the Twins will activate the closer from the disabled list prior to tomorrow’s second-half opener against the A’s.
Glen Perkins and Jared Burton have basically split closing duties in Capps’ absence, with Perkins getting a larger share of the save opportunities, but knowing how the Twins and manager Ron Gardenhire operate there’s little doubt that Capps will slide back into the ninth-inning role.
Minnesota would surely love to see Capps put together a healthy, effective half-dozen appearances in order to build up some value heading into the July 31 trade deadline, although they’ll be lucky to get a marginal prospect for him either way.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)