Jul 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Matt Capps has been out since June 23 with a shoulder injury, but Dan Cook of WCOO reports that the Twins will activate the closer from the disabled list prior to tomorrow’s second-half opener against the A’s.
Glen Perkins and Jared Burton have basically split closing duties in Capps’ absence, with Perkins getting a larger share of the save opportunities, but knowing how the Twins and manager Ron Gardenhire operate there’s little doubt that Capps will slide back into the ninth-inning role.
Minnesota would surely love to see Capps put together a healthy, effective half-dozen appearances in order to build up some value heading into the July 31 trade deadline, although they’ll be lucky to get a marginal prospect for him either way.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead