Twins to activate Matt Capps from disabled list tomorrow

Jul 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

Matt Capps AP

Matt Capps has been out since June 23 with a shoulder injury, but Dan Cook of WCOO reports that the Twins will activate the closer from the disabled list prior to tomorrow’s second-half opener against the A’s.

Glen Perkins and Jared Burton have basically split closing duties in Capps’ absence, with Perkins getting a larger share of the save opportunities, but knowing how the Twins and manager Ron Gardenhire operate there’s little doubt that Capps will slide back into the ninth-inning role.

Minnesota would surely love to see Capps put together a healthy, effective half-dozen appearances in order to build up some value heading into the July 31 trade deadline, although they’ll be lucky to get a marginal prospect for him either way.

1. 7ransponder - Jul 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

God dammit.

• semnsportsfan - Jul 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM

No doubt! Be prepared for more 9th inning losses Twins fans! Fat Capps sux @$$!

• stabonerichard - Jul 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Either of you have 138 career saves in professional baseball?

Well guess who does… Matty Capps, proven big league closer.

• Tim OShenko - Jul 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Actually, Capps has been doing a lot better this year. Still far from perfect, but he’s only imploded on what, one or two save opportunites this season?

And the Twins certainly have proven they can lose in the 9th without Capps. I remember Perkins blowing a 3-run lead just before the All-Star break.

Don’t get me wrong – I think Perkins is the better pitcher, and would be happy to see Capps go – but Capps isn’t quite as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

• 7ransponder - Jul 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I love the “do you have blah blah blah that this professional athlete has already done?” arguments, so shallow. No, I don’t have that many saves, but I have done many things to save my company money that Matt Capps hasn’t done. We’re two people with two different professions. If something I do in my job affects Capps in some way, he can certainly call me out on it too if he wants, it’s a two way street.

Fact is, Capps both blows and makes saves in gut wrenching fashion and I think Perkins, while maybe not a proven closer like Capps is, will fill in nicely for a team that realistically doesn’t need a closer that bad when they are not in contention in any way. I’m ok with him closing for a bit to polish his trade shine, but long term it’s just not worth it. Plus I’m still bitter about losing Ramos in that deal, even if he hasn’t panned out as an AMAZING prospect.

• stabonerichard - Jul 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You save your company gobs of money, I invented the salad shooter. Wonderful.

Difference between schmucks like us and Matty Capps is that when he saves over 40 freaking ballgames for his club in one season it becomes a matter of public record. Proven g’damn closer!

2. migoli - Jul 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

people are such clowns, matt capps is a solid closer, not saying hes elite but my god people dont seem to actually look at guys numbers before they open their ignorant mouth

• semnsportsfan - Jul 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Guess us Twins fans were spoiled by Joe Nathan who so very rarely gave up home runs in the 9th inning to lose us games…Capps seems to revel in that role. You can call him a solid closer, but he’s not been too solid for the last 2-3 years…maybe solid in the NL, but not with the Twins thus far.

3. kopy - Jul 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM

It’s not that Matt Capps is a bad pitcher, it’s just terribly upsetting to Twins fans that his coaching staff utilizes him at inappropriate times.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3633)