Jul 13, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
Kemp has been sidelined since aggravating his left hamstring strain on May 30. While he made it back from the initial injury after the minimum 15 days, he was extra cautious this time around in an effort to avoid another setback. The 27-year-old center fielder is hitting .355/.444/.719 with 12 home runs, 28 RBI and a 1.163 OPS in 36 games played this season.
Ethier hasn’t played since June 27 due to a strained left oblique, but he was cleared to return after playing in two rehab games with High-A Rancho Cucamonga this week. The 29-year-old outfielder still owns an impressive .291/.357/.491 batting line to go along with 10 homers and an .848 OPS this season, but he’s hitting just .203 with one homer and a .596 OPS over his last 23 games. It’s safe to say he’s thrilled to see Kemp’s name on the lineup card.
Despite the struggles of the offense, the Dodgers will begin the second half of the season at 47-40, one-half game ahead of the 46-40 Giants in the National League West.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)