Jul 13, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
Kemp has been sidelined since aggravating his left hamstring strain on May 30. While he made it back from the initial injury after the minimum 15 days, he was extra cautious this time around in an effort to avoid another setback. The 27-year-old center fielder is hitting .355/.444/.719 with 12 home runs, 28 RBI and a 1.163 OPS in 36 games played this season.
Ethier hasn’t played since June 27 due to a strained left oblique, but he was cleared to return after playing in two rehab games with High-A Rancho Cucamonga this week. The 29-year-old outfielder still owns an impressive .291/.357/.491 batting line to go along with 10 homers and an .848 OPS this season, but he’s hitting just .203 with one homer and a .596 OPS over his last 23 games. It’s safe to say he’s thrilled to see Kemp’s name on the lineup card.
Despite the struggles of the offense, the Dodgers will begin the second half of the season at 47-40, one-half game ahead of the 46-40 Giants in the National League West.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)