Fan who allegedly yelled racial slur at Carl Crawford is a police officer, could lose his job

Jul 13, 2012, 7:57 AM EST

Carl Crawford AP

Remember last week when a fan allegedly yelled racist stuff at Carl Crawford during a rehab game in New Hampshire? Well, the next day the fan took to the Internet and called in to a radio station to defend himself. And in doing so, he seems to have outed himself.

Turns out he’s a Leominster, Massachusetts police officer. One who, as you’ll see below, has apparently had a tragic past year, and now, in light of the Crawford business, could lose his job:

Leominster authorities launched an internal investigation into whether one of the city’s police officers is the heckler responsible for shouting a racial slur at Red Sox left fielder Carl Crawford during a minor league game last week in Manchester, N.H. … Leominster officials opened the investigation earlier this week after receiving a number of tips and complaints.

The mayor of Leominster says in this NECN report that the officer could lose his job over this.

Reader BigLeagues passed those links along to me, as well as some stuff from last week I missed about who this police officer is.  When he called in to WEEI the day after the alleged incident to defend himself, he identified himself as “Thomas,” and said he didn’t yell any slurs at Crawford, only heckled him over being a big money, no production ballplayer. In the comments section to the WEEI story, he used the name “Thomas Johnson” and “Tom from NH.”  The comment name links to a Facebook page under the name “Thomas Johnson” with a police department patch as its avatar, but not a Leominster one.*

BigLeagues was curious about this story and did some Googling.  He tells me that on WEEI, Thomas/Tom from NH/Thomas Johnson said he was 32 years-old, raced cars in his spare time and, last fall, he and his wife suffered the loss of his baby son.  A search by BigLeagues reveals this story about a Thomas Johnson who is 32 years-old, lives in a New Hampshire town about 30 miles from Leominster, races cars and lost his son last fall. Sounds like the same dude.

What to make of all of this? I don’t know. It’s unclear if this guy yelled slurs at Crawford (the reports reveal this to be a Crawford’s word against Thomas Johnson’s word thing at the moment). If he did, he might get fired. And if it’s the same guy from that last story, I think it’s safe to say that he’s having an awful year and probably could use help from someone.

*A Twitter follower tells me that the police patch on Thomas Johnson’s Facebook page is from Greenland, New Hampshire. This spring four officers were shot, and the police chief killed, in a shootout in Greenland back in April, which presumably makes the Facebook pic a tribute. Gosh, this is all kinds of horrible.

(big thanks and props to BigLeagues for handing me all of this stuff)

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. sictransitchris - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Wow, that’s pretty scary that with some simple Googling you can track people down.

• kkolchak - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM

“The comment name links to a Facebook page under the name “Thomas Johnson” with a police department patch as its avatar”

Only because he had Facebook page. Pretty dumb thing for a cop to have anyway as I would gather that there are a few perps that he’s angered along the way who might be motivated to find out where he lives.

• eshine76 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I have a friend in the neighborhood who is a cop. Not only does he not have a FB page, but he also asks not to be in pictures taken at just normal cookouts. Not because he might have a drink in his hand, but because he doesn’t want them to end up on FB and have someone identify him and track down he and his family.

• jasonbournepe - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM

eshine76–I also have a buddy that is a cop and he also never ever wants his picture taken for ANYTHING. At first I thought this was kinda lame….but now I can say i understand about how his image or picture can be used to track him and his family down or smear his name

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Only because he made his content availible for others to connect the dots. Commenting on a story that’s connected to your FB page? Calling into a radio show? ..and using your REAL NAME! Not smart. Especially after you’ve been in the news for an unrelated topic.

• vallewho - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

well..he’s a cop.

2. deadeyedesign23 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM

A racist cop?!…in New England?!

• Glenn - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Because New England is a hotbed of racism? I don’t see it, but thanks for blindly labeling a whole region and sub group based on the actions of a few. Isn’t that kind of what bigots do?

• deadeyedesign23 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:57 AM

New England does have a history of racism and to say otherwise is to be obstinate. And I didn’t say that all cops or all New Englanders were racists…that would be painting with a broad brush. But does it shock me that a cop from New England was a racist? No more than the sun coming up this morning.

• mississippimusicman - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Isn’t that exactly what people from the rest of the country doing about the South for decades? To paraphrase the NRA catchphrase, regions don’t hate people, people hate people.

• Kevin S. - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM

No, the difference is racism in the South is still institutional. But yeah, every time a story pops up about a racist in the Northeast, the southerners start whining about the fact that they’re unfairly cast as racists while ignoring that there’s a Confederate-freaking-flag flying above the capitol building in Columbia. Don’t insult our intelligence by trying to equate the two again, please.

• bigleagues - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Does racism & bigotry exist in the Northeast? Yes. Show me a place on this planet where it doesn’t.

But when exposed, we, as a region, generally do not attempt to excuse it or sweep it under the rug.

As a society, we all have a long way to go . . . but a bigot in New England is no different than a bigot anywhere else.

3. Glenn - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Racists cops are kind of scary, too. Still, I hope all the facts are supported before some witch hunt costs someone a job. That sort of action seems to fuel more racism rather than assuage it.

4. redguy12588 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Your mother sounds like one hell of a lady.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Your sister looks a little shady,
      I have a dog, her name is Sadie,
      I like that guy, Xavier Nady,

…… is that what you were doing there?

• redguy12588 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM

No, I absolutely butchered a quote from the departed. Racist Boston cops made me think of it.

5. heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM

As a civil servant, man, you just can’t do that. We should all be beyond bigotry to begin with, but especially if you’re an employee of big brother, if he really said this, no matter how bad his year has been, it’s just flat out stupid.

6. maxt75 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Being white and not supporting or voting for Obama is enough to get you labeled as a racist these days.

• kkolchak - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Congrats for being the first one to bring politics into a discussion where it is neither needed nor wanted.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Being black and having a funny name is enough for people to spend 4 years insisting you’re a Muslim born in Kenya these days.

• Kevin S. - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

That you have 57 thumbs down for that pretty much negates any claims that these boards are 95% white-guilters. Wow.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Point taken Sandy.
        But for full disclosure…
        We should point out his middle name IS Hussein and his Father IS Kenyan.
        Other than that…nothing to see here. Move along people.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

All we need is another WASP for President. We need one like a hole in the head!

• hammyofdoom - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Cause as we know it white people have had it SO hard in the United States the past couple hundred years

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Being black and having a bad fashion sense pretty much gets you labeled Rihanna these days.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

“Being black and having a bad fashion sense pretty much constitutes being a thug these days.”
        Let me fix this.

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM

bad fashion sense. As for talking…you don’t even have to speak.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM

“Being a “young person,” holding your pants up with one hand, holding your nuts with the other, all while wearing your hat cocked to the side and speaking so poorly people can’t understand you consititues being a thug these days.”

I think you’re lying. Most of the young people who make themselves look ridiculous with that style of wearing pants are not thugs, but are just following the style of the day, for their age group. By the way: it’s “constitutes”.

7. savocabol1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Cops word against Crawfords. Call me crazy but I have my doubts that any racial slurs were involved. Has anyone talked to any fans that were near the incident, did they hear anything?

All I am saying is we see it a lot when an athlete loses their cool on a fan/media then blames a racial slur or something outlandish so they (the athlete) don’t look bad for going crazy on someone.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Umm, what exactly did Crawford do wrong in this situation? How did he go “crazy” on someone?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I was with you at first snuff, but the fact that “tips and complaints” is what lead to the investigation, then the act could be corroborated.

Unless there’s some kind of weird conspiracy going on here.

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Just what I was thinking, but then I’ve been rereading The Crying of Lot 49 this week.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

If Crawford was the only one who heard a racial slur would this have become as big a deal as it has? Really, the guy came out to defend himself and Carl Crawford never once said “Oh yeah it was THAT guy right there!” Sounds like (at least to me) that other people complained and he had to defend himself

• brenenostler - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

“Leominster officials opened the investigation earlier this week after receiving a number of tips and complaints.”

I think that answers your question about if anyone else heard anything.

• davidpom50 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

BigLeagues tracked down who the guy was through Google. The tipsters and complainers could be people who did the same thing after the guy went on the radio and the internet, and realized he was a local cop. That doesn’t mean they can corroborate the actual event.

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I agree with the tips and complaints pretty much identifying that Crawford wasn’t hearing things. That and the fact that Crawford never identified WHO said the slurs. So the fact that they found the guy should be enough. That being said it’s still going to be hard to prove. You need someone that can definitively say he saw “Thomas” say what he said towards Crawford. Especially, since Crawford doesn’t even know who he was.

8. raider2124 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:47 AM

If he does loose his job I would sue the town, department, Crawford and the red six. I would take it to the supreme court as a freedom of speech 2nd amendment right. It’s alright for blacks to call whites crackers and other name but call someone black a name. You lose your job. It’s only a word. Proves the word correct if you would get upset over it

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM

freedom of speech 2nd amendment right

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner here!

• number42is1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM

all kinds of awesome

• bigleagues - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM

It’s getting easier and easier to ferret them out.

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Not when your job is on the line. You’re not just speaking for yourself.

• crackerjack1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM

First of all, the 2nd amendment involves the right to bear arms. I believe you were looking for the 1st amendment, which protects free speech. HOWEVER this protects you from prosecution, not from losing your job. It sucks, but there are things I could say in public that could cost me my job as well. That’s life.

• viceburgh - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

This is incorrect. Under certain circumstances, the 1st Amendment can protect government employees from termination. See, e.g., Rankin v. McPherson, 483 U.S. 378 (1987) (police officer could not be terminated for saying, after hearing of the Reagan assassination attempt, “If they go for him again, I hope they get him.”)

• kkolchak - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Hey, stupid, how about the cop in the link below? All he did was SAY he was going to shoot Michelle Obama when he was part of her protection detail. He didn’t actually DO it. Should he keep his job?

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Nope. Do you want someone who said they would shoot you if given the opportunity working as your security? The cop has the legal right to carry a gun near you and will have the opportunity to get you alone. That’s just asking for trouble.

Plus, if someone gets in trouble.

• hammyofdoom - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM

The first amendment says “The Government shall not” not “The police force shall not fire you for saying racist things that could affect your judgement while on the job”. Free speech protects you for some things, not ALL things

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Close but still off. The amendment says the Government can’t create a law that prohibits the freedom of speech. But, 9 times out of 10 check the contract you signed when you were hired. I bet it said “[company] has the right to terminate an employee for bringing negative publicity to [company]” I know mine does and places I have worked. Or something of the sort.

• vallewho - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

this is the most moronic thing I have read today. It’s early though….

• mississippimusicman - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

It is NOT all right to call me a “cracker” – racism is racism, no matter the target, and it’s also one of the most idiotic things I can think of. It’s like hating people with green eyes, or people over 5’8″ tall – letting genetics pick your friends and enemies for you. People are people, and I’m sick of it.
      That said, it’s not “only a word” either. That word is shorthand for “I hate your guts you worthless pile of pig droppings, you and your entire family and most of your friends are repugnant to me, and there’s nothing you can do to change my mind – oh yeah, and enough people think like me that we even have a handy two-syllable word to throw at you so we won’t have to say the whole speech every time!”

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Ritz

• boston992 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM

None of those terms are appropriate, and although we all have the RIGHT to say them, doesn’t mean we should. Just admit it, if Carl Crawford wasn’t a black man, this moron wouldn’t have said a thing about his race. People of different races and ethnicities are constantly singled out because they are different, long before they ever have the chance to proove their character, or lack thereof. I come from Boston, but now live in Michigan, and I’ve seen more blatant racisim and bigotry since I moved here 14 years ago, then I ever saw in my 42 years in Boston. And I agree, this man should lose his job. Police officers should be held to a higher standard, because it is their job to uphold the law, FOR EVERYONE.

• ftbramwell - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

ROTFL. The police officer has a Constitutional right to express his opinions, that is true. He does not, however, have a Constitutional right to be a police officer.

Oh, and if someone like you were to sue “the town, department, Crawford, and the red six [sic],” for the alleged violation of your first amendment rights, you’d lose on a motion to dismiss. Then, after I whopped your tail in court, I’d collect my costs, and then turn around and sue you for malicious prosecution and abuse of process. I doubt I’d collect more than a few thousand dollars at the end of the day. But I’m pretty sure that dragging you through the process would bankrupt you. And I’m also pretty sure that I’d enjoy bankrupting an ignorant redneck like you.

9. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM

There is a movement in certain cities (including NYC, I think, and my town) to hire new officers whose IQ fall within a range of not-too-stupid to not-too-smart. The former is understandable, but the latter? Obviously, as a successful cop, one has to follow orders of superior commanders and commit to actions without worrying about their effects. Hence, shootings of family dogs are up. Police arresting folks filming videos of police action from their front doorsteps are up. Off duty officers starting bar fights are up.

A friend of mine in this town is a cop. His Facebook page is often packed with links and commentary about how people on welfare and accepting food stamps are all drug induced losers who have gotten fat and flabby from being spoiled. This type of thinking is a big hit with his cop buddies. Myself and his other non-cop friends often have to call him on these types of generalizations.

I’m not a Public Enemy “Fuck Da Police” kind of guy. But there is no way I give an immediate credence to officers. Too many of them are power hungry, gun toting dipshits for me to feel safe with them “on my side”.

• anthonykornheiser - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Couldnt agree more with your comment. You hit the nail on the head.
      it was NWA with “fuck da police” though not P.E.

• bigleagues - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, and relunctantly I admit hat trend was courtesy of the infinite wisdom that pervades my ex-hometown:

And worse, the Federal Court agreed with the NLPD:

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

• bigleagues - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM

That quote came from this story: http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836#.UAAtsfXIY2f

• psousa1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

big league – it happened to me as well. I took a police exam for a town (here in New England), they were concerned about my IQ (I first thought “jeezus – how friggin bad was it”) they wouldn’t tell me but they alluded to 130+ (no way – I must have had a good day) and determined I would not be a candidate they wanted to pursue because of concern of my long term viability for the positon. That was a direct quote I received. (then when I told a council member – “I’m sure it’s more that you want to hire some j@rk off’s idiot nephew” that sealed the deal that I was not welcomed to apply again.

Apparently the slur was something to the affect of “I hate Mondays”. I googled this and apparently this is akin to saying “I hate black people”. The analogy is supposed to be everyone hates mondays and everyone hates black people. I guess I’m not as hip as I thought I was.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Be careful not to generalize *all* police officers in that fashion. Law of averages states there’s going to be some meat heads in every precinct, but grouping them all like that is a little unfair to the good ones who put themselves in harm’s way on a daily basis.

There’s no excuse for racism, bigotry, or small, superficial thinking from anyone in any walk of life.

Just think a little before grouping them all together. They’re not all evil pig cop types out to get you who arrest you for possession and keep your drugs, bust parties and take your booze, and beat on the young man dresed in baggy clothing because he must have done something wrong.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Not sure where you’re going with your criticism. If you’re complaining about my last line, then you should know that I believe one power hungry, gun toting dipshit with a badge is one too many.

It’s a difficult job, and because of the level of difficulty, cities should insist on a higher IQ for their police rather than a lower IQ.

And, yes, in my elitist mind, a smart police officer doesn’t go to a ballgame to heckle obnoxious race baiting comments and then follow up with a phone call to some AM sports talk radio show.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Sigh, you’re a sensitive one, aren’t you. And if you read froma thread above, I clearly state this guy is an idiot.

Now I don’t live in NYC to know if “There is a movement in certain cities (including NYC, I think, and my town) to hire new officers whose IQ fall within a range of not-too-stupid to not-too-smart” is a real thing. If there’s no smart new hires in the polica academies up there.

But I do live in an area in between Camden, Trenton, and Philadelphia. And to be honest, being a police officer around here is generally not a smart job to take: it’s a danger every day you walk out the door.

My point, my only point, was just to ask you to think before you say you don’t want to generalize, and then do. It’s a sometimes impossibe job they have, and must be difficult to hire for factoring in standards versus the hiring pool they have to deal with, considering the nature of the work. One or two are going to slip between the cracks. To demand anything otherwise is probably unreasonable.

That’s all, no need to froth at the mouth.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I didn’t think I was frothing. But if printed words come off like that for you, go forth and generalize. I will say that your arguments seem to side on the fact that the original poster didn’t write in the way that you approve. That your criticism is more about syntax than substance. That’s your prerogative. Sometimes you’ll get a response, and sometimes you won’t. Interesting, though, that if you do get a response, and you don’t like that response, or didn’t want that response, then your follow up response is that the response you got is way over the top.

It is a fact in my town (a smaller city that has grown into a big city, and is currently reaching heights of a very, big city) that you can’t score more than 120 in IQ and be hired as a police officer. As linked to above, this policy has a precedence on the East Coast. This is the bloodiest year we have experienced in quite awhile. I think we’re at 38 homicides. During my time here, the police have shot to death more than 20 suspects and bystanders– about a year’s worth of homicide victims in roughly 13 years of police activity. Factor in the 5 domesticated dogs shot by police this year, and the question I leave you with is, Is that cool with you?

So many smart people out of work right now, and they are allowed predetermined by their intelligence to not be fit to be police officers. That’s the overall issue I’m concerned with, Bro.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM

“His Facebook page is often packed with links and commentary about how people on welfare and accepting food stamps are all drug induced losers who have gotten fat and flabby from being spoiled. This type of thinking is a big hit with his cop buddies.”
      Sandy: I am NOT excusing this line of thinking. But I would venture to guess they live this on a daily basis. They are immersed in it. They see it constantly.
      Their line of thinking…if it walks like a duck…

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Makes me wonder what my mindset would be, like when you arrest the person that bit you, or maybe the guy you pulled over might be ready to blast you and run. Or, if you break up the fight between the two teenagers and one falls to the ground and breaks an arm, when is that lawsuit coming. being first to a scene of some kind of brutal crimes.

Putting your health, life, and existence out there, for some kind of salary, and going through stuff like that.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Hey Lou. If somebody is carrying a gun and needs to be ready to shoot as part of the profession, then I want that person to understand that not everybody falls into a category of Like Me = Good, Not Like Me = Loser/Dipshit/Bad Guy. And it might help if that person was smart enough to not have to generalize the public in such a way.

Bottom line in terms of this story is that we need smarter cops, and that part of being smart is to understand how everyone’s situation is different.

Anyway, it’s been awhile! Good to talk to you again.

10. tampabayirish - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM

It’s actually the First Amendment that protects “Freedom of Speach”. The Second Amendment in The Bill of Rights protects the right to bear arms. In this case, other than Carl Crawford’s comments, is there any other evidence that this guy said anything racist? Were there any other people attending this game? No ushers? Anybody else hear anything racial? Let us hope that Carl Crawford is not merely playing the race card because he doesn’t like some guy saying he is an overpaid athlete .Besides Carl, you should have known better. Boston is not a great cultural fit for you. You’re a laid back kind of guy, who coming from Tampa Bay, was not used to intense media coverage. You would have been a happier person if you signed with the Angels, even if it meant leaving a few dollars on the table.

• lmoneyfresh - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Does anybody actually read the damn articles before spouting off nonsense like this?

• cur68 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

First: people phoned in complaints. Its there in the article. Ergo, more than Carl Crawford complained. Ergo, the balance of your anti-Crawford thesis is moot.
      Second: Crawford should be able to work wherever he wants and not be subject to this kind of thing. The statement “Carl, you should have known better. Boston is not a great cultural fit for you” is victim blaming. Cultural similarity has nothing to do with racism unless you’re asserting that all cops in NE are racist. Blaming the victim for the ignorance/bigotry of others is common, though. Time honored fall back of the intellectually lazy.

• nategearhart - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

“You’re a laid back kind of guy, who coming from Tampa Bay, was not used to intense media coverage.”

Carl Crawford is from Houston, which is, oh, 4 times bigger than Boston.

• largebill - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

While I agree he was wrong to criticize Crawford’s decision, comparing the media scrutiny in Houston to Boston is silly. He was an amateur player in Houston and probably only got positive press.

• nategearhart - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I wasn’t trying to imply anything about Houston, only disputing this guy’s claim that Crawford is “from” Tampa Bay.

11. chill1184 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM

A government thug losing his job? LMAO Very rare for a lackey of the state to get actually canned. My guess if anything he’ll be suspended with pay and the department will bring up some “good deed” that he did or some award he won to justify it. It also in a way makes Crawford better, since Crawford draws a paycheck via private money while this government stooge relies on tax payer theft as his paycheck.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM

government stooge relies on tax payer theft as his paycheck.

Huh?

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Huh?

I have met a few people here and there who are firmly in the camp that Taxes are nothing but Goverment Authorized Theft.

• 18thstreet - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

• number42is1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

LMAO Very rare for lackey to get actually canned

FTFY

12. nepo784 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Figures it was a pig

13. beefytrout - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Carl Crawford attracts some very bizarre hecklers. During the ALDS in 2010, I was sitting in left field, and when Crawford was on defense, these 3 guys were just giving him hell. But they were saying things like “you’ll be leaving for Jamaica soon on your vacation!” and “Carl, how are your thighs?!? Are they chafing?!? I’ve got some Gold Bond for you Carl!!!”

And for the entire game, the heckling consisted of variations of Crawford vacationing in Jamaica and having chafed thighs. Every half inning he was in the field. To this day, my buddy and I will only refer to Crawford as “Carl Crawford and his horribly chafing thighs.”

• islandbushwacker - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM

This has little to do with whether or not some simple minded cop directed a racial slur towards Crawford in front of a couple of hundred people. That it ocurred is a given to anybody familiar with race relations in Boston. And this isn’t about some bizarre heckling that took place in 2010 before he even joined the Red Sox.

Common sense says Crawford never would have brought this to the media if it were an isolated incident or if it was a one time event that happened at some podunk ball park. Why would he? He certainly had nothing to gain by drawing attention to it. This is more about the mean spirited crap that’s been spewed towards black players, not just Crawford, for years in Fenway. It’s about the shi! he’s heard and the embarassment of hearing it in front of a packed house with 36,000 in attendance. I figure that got his attention but he kept it to himself. He’s coming back and the podunk incident was his opportunity to clear the air.

Boston’s racist reputation is hard earned. It goes way back, it goes both ways and it needs to stop.

I’ve been a member of the nation for a long time which means I know something about baseball and I’m as good as it gets at handicapping baseball talent. I watched the Sox compete against the Rays a number of times when both Tampa baseball and that tent they call a stadium were considered jokes.. and I can assure you Crawford was no joke. He’s a dead on steak hitter whose bat can carry a team when hot. He’s lightning fast and can run down everything in sight.

Both Ellsbury and Crawford will need a dozen or so games (30-40 ABs) to get their timing down. It should be obvious to most the value that will be gained with them batting 1-2 or 1-3 in the order and this will morph the Red Sox into automatic contenders. Notwithstanding Crawford’s dramatic SB decrease last year (attributed to injury).. less obvious to most is the value that Crawford and Ellsburys speed will add to the offense while on base. Their mere presence on the bases will give pitchers fits. This is speed the likes of which the Red Sox have never (emphasis) had before and adding this new dimension to the offense will transform this team (that almost everybody has written off) .. into Yankee slayers.

• beefytrout - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Sounds like you need to vacation in Jamaica.

14. Glenn - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Coincidentally, a police officer who is part of the White House motorcycle escort is currently suspended for saying that he would shoot the First Lady and retrieved a picture of the gun he would use on his phone.

15. dontcarewhatusay - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Oh, the poor, overpaid black man, oh, the poor, overpaid black man. Let us cry them a river.

• bigleagues - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

So which are you . . .Thomas Johnson or Alleged Heckler #2?

Or just some random jerk who doesn’t get it and felt compelled to let everyone know?

• nategearhart - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM

So if someone makes a certain amount of money, it becomes ok to throw racial slurs at them? What’s the income threshold there so I know who I can or can’t insult?

• cur68 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I don’t understand your statement. Its clearly sarcasm/irony, but the intent seems to be that its all cool because Crawford is rich . . . or because he’s black . . . can’t tell which. Perhaps you mean both? So its ok to yell racist stuff at rich black folks? Is that correct? If so, then GFY.

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

So just because you throw money at him, you can be as racist as you want.

16. yahmule - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

This story made my morning. The best part is that the (hopefully) fatal wound to his career was self inflicted.

17. smackingfools - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Hey, this is America! Sue him!

18. phillyphan83 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Anyone else think Carl Crawford lost all credibility a long time ago?

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I did until the cops received tips and complaints from other fans that essential says Crawford wasn’t hearing things.

19. mississippimusicman - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Time for me to rant a bit, as this is a subject I can’t help but be frustrated by.

Yes, there are ignorant racist white people. Yes, there are ignorant lazy black people. there are also ignorant racist people and ignorant lazy people OF EVERY OTHER POSSIBLE DESCRIPTION, as well as thoughtful, fair-minded, hard-working people of every other possible description. I’m a white guy from rural Mississippi, but that doesn’t mean I’m racist. I’ve met a few racists, from Mississippi, Brooklyn, Baltimore, Houston, Memphis, Rhode Island, Chicago, Los Angeles, Denver, and various countries around the world. Not all of them are white people who hate black people. I’ve also met far more decent human beings than I have bigots, and those are the ones I’d rather spend my time with. Letting genetics pick your enemies for you is just plain stupid.

Most employment contracts for public servants (and a lot of other jobs) have a “conduct clause” that covers off-duty behavior that could taint the respectability of the employer, and if this guy really did shout a racist epithet in a public place, he’s pretty sure to be in violation of that clause. We may be free to say what we want, and to hold whatever opinions we want, but we are also free to live with the consequences of our decisions. If this guy is found to have crossed that line, then I have absolutely no sympathy for him if he loses his job, because if a police officer is seen by the general public as being racist, then every arrest he makes will be questioned, and every defense attorney worth his salt is going to bring this up in court if this guy collars a suspect who is non-white. He has a responsibility to be unbiased, and if he can’t control himself well enough to keep from making headlines for yelling racist stuff at a ballgame, then it’s fair to think he’d let it color his judgement on the job.

Race is just another genetic trait, people. Eye color, hair color, height, bone structure, allergies, whether or not you can roll your tongue, and a whole host of other things are also genetic traits. No one chooses their own DNA, so hating someone, or a whole category of someones, for something they have no control over, takes a special kind of blind stupidity, or bad upbringing, or both. I guess that makes me prejudiced against racists, huh?

All too often, though, I see people get accused of racism for simply disagreeing with someone of a different race on an unrelated issue. If I think you’re wrong, it’s not because of who your ancestors were, it’s because I think you’re wrong, personally. I guess it’s easier to shift blame for someone not approving of you onto a factor you can’t control than it is to accept that maybe, just maybe, you made a bad decision yourself.

Assuming someone from a particular area or culture would be racist is bigotry too. I went out to a comedy club recently, and a black comedian did at least five minutes on the fact that he hates doing gigs in the South because “they’re a bunch of racist motherf***ers” and he feels like he’s in enemy territory. Pot calling the kettle bigoted?

My fervent wish is that by the time my kids are grown, none of this will be an issue, and people will be judged by their actions rather than their genetics, but I’m not getting my hopes up too much.

• amontanan - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:03 PM

This is an excellent post. Thank you for providing a well-worded, thoughtful, and polite comment. It is, in essence, a short essay – and on a difficult topic. Too often, comments on this topic are full of diatribe and vitriol. Again, thank you for saying what you said.

20. blackandbluedivision - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

How long before we hear…”well I have black friends”?

21. georgebrett - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

These are words people. Get over it as life will deal you a lot more as you get older.

• cur68 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

No what I never see/hear? A person of colour saying that ^^^. Only the non-obviously ethnic say stuff like that. Why? I really don’t know for certain but my working premise is that because it rarely, if ever, happens to them. But yeah, I’ll “get over it” all right. When I stop hearing it I’ll be right over it.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Cur: Don’t you mean “color.” Hahaha! You know I am only joking. I can’t help myself.
        Please spell something that should have a “z” but use an ”s” instead.

And for the record…you are dead on.
        I have never heard a minority say “they are only words.”

• bigleagues - Jul 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM

A) You assume that everyone you are addressing here is somehow much younger than you, you condescending fool.

B) Please, oh infinitely wise one, how does one impart your thick skin to, say for example, a scrawny ten-year-old brown-skinned child who lives in a predominantly white town – when his friends go home and hear Mom and Dad speaking in code like the Fishercats fan – who BTW, is alleged to have made his comment while Crawford was signing autographs in front of, among others, kids.

C) If the Fishercats fan who made the “Monday” reference ends up being the officer under investigation in Leominster, a racially diverse city, how does he explain himself to his fellow Officers who are Black? How do you think those Officers will feel about serving alongside and potentially putting their lives on the line with a guy who called a Black baseball player a known racially derogatory term?

22. papichulo55 - Jul 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

After reading these comments, its clear that we still have a some work to do. IF the officer used such poor judgment, he should not be representing law and order in his town. Any loose canon will inevitably cost the town the equivalent of atleast two cops when they lose a lawsuit.
    IF he said it, he becomes a liability to the town and should be treated as such.

And true or false, Crawford should reach out to the family of Jackie Robinson. He might learn something…

23. mrmafaka - Jul 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The current perceived definition of a racist is way to broad, its like if you are white and you are proud of your race then you must be a racist, if you are black and belong to the NAACP, you refer to your fellow blacks as ni++ers, you call white people honkeys or crackers, then you are not a racist, what am I missing here, all this racism is the result of the media and their need to generate garbage to make money for themselves. racism is the result of the media making racism what it is today.

24. normanbates13 - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Off the pigs

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3231)
  2. J. Kang (3087)
  3. C. McGehee (2805)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2781)
  5. J. Upton (2768)