Jul 13, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The Dutch were apparently a lot more impressed by his 12 home runs than the Yankees were.
Prior to Friday’s game at AT&T Park, Giants hitting coach Hensley Meulens was presented with The Royal Decoration of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, making him the Dutch equivalent of a Knight. Apparently, the Giants have already been calling him “Sir Bam Bam” since the honor was announced in April.
Meulens, a native of the Dutch island of Curacao, represented the Netherlands in the 2000 Olympics and was a coach on the 2004 squad. He’s in his third season as the Giants’ hitting coach after working his way through the minors.
A product of much hype as a Yankee prospect in the late-80s, “Bam Bam” hit .220/.288/.353 with 15 homers over seven major league seasons (a dozen of the homers came with the Bombers).
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)