Jul 13, 2012, 11:24 PM EST
The Dutch were apparently a lot more impressed by his 12 home runs than the Yankees were.
Prior to Friday’s game at AT&T Park, Giants hitting coach Hensley Meulens was presented with The Royal Decoration of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, making him the Dutch equivalent of a Knight. Apparently, the Giants have already been calling him “Sir Bam Bam” since the honor was announced in April.
Meulens, a native of the Dutch island of Curacao, represented the Netherlands in the 2000 Olympics and was a coach on the 2004 squad. He’s in his third season as the Giants’ hitting coach after working his way through the minors.
A product of much hype as a Yankee prospect in the late-80s, “Bam Bam” hit .220/.288/.353 with 15 homers over seven major league seasons (a dozen of the homers came with the Bombers).
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 31
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)