Jul 13, 2012, 11:24 PM EDT
The Dutch were apparently a lot more impressed by his 12 home runs than the Yankees were.
Prior to Friday’s game at AT&T Park, Giants hitting coach Hensley Meulens was presented with The Royal Decoration of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, making him the Dutch equivalent of a Knight. Apparently, the Giants have already been calling him “Sir Bam Bam” since the honor was announced in April.
Meulens, a native of the Dutch island of Curacao, represented the Netherlands in the 2000 Olympics and was a coach on the 2004 squad. He’s in his third season as the Giants’ hitting coach after working his way through the minors.
A product of much hype as a Yankee prospect in the late-80s, “Bam Bam” hit .220/.288/.353 with 15 homers over seven major league seasons (a dozen of the homers came with the Bombers).
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)