Jul 13, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston has a story up today that makes it sound like Bobby Valentine has lost the Red Sox clubhouse. He has cool relations with his coaching staff, Edes reports, and he has lost the support of the veterans, assuming he ever had it:
David Ortiz publicly stated his support recently for the manager, but another respected player on the team said privately that it was all for show. That same player has gone weeks without speaking to Valentine and said that the manager does not have the support of “anyone” in the clubhouse … Valentine went out to the mound in Chicago for a visit with his pitcher, and all the infielders joined him for the conference except star second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who remained at his position.
Edes ads that players are grumbling about the Youkilis trade and that they are taking complaints about Bobby Valentine to GM Ben Cherington. Who, quite obviously, was not on board with the Valentine hire in the offseason, but rather had it foisted on him by team president Larry Lucchino.
It’s hard to know what really goes on in a clubhouse and, it’s worth noting, these stories always exist because someone has an ax to grind and seeks out the media to help him grind it. The other side — where there is harmony — doesn’t get reported, at least at first.
But to the extent there is something bad going down inside the Sox’ clubhouse, it would not at all shock me if this is a logical extension of how Terry Francona was treated last year. The coaches with whom Valentine is reportedly having trouble were Francona assistants. The veterans all reportedly liked Francona. He was thrown under a friggin’ bus and, though it’s not Bobby V’s fault that happened, he’s the guy who is going to get the cold shoulder.
If the Sox turn this around competitively and win despite the strife, all of this will be viewed with some amusement like the 1977 Yankees or it will turn into some coming together narrative. If the Sox lose, though, it’s gonna be ugly, ugly, ugly.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 36
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 64
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)