Jul 13, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston has a story up today that makes it sound like Bobby Valentine has lost the Red Sox clubhouse. He has cool relations with his coaching staff, Edes reports, and he has lost the support of the veterans, assuming he ever had it:
David Ortiz publicly stated his support recently for the manager, but another respected player on the team said privately that it was all for show. That same player has gone weeks without speaking to Valentine and said that the manager does not have the support of “anyone” in the clubhouse … Valentine went out to the mound in Chicago for a visit with his pitcher, and all the infielders joined him for the conference except star second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who remained at his position.
Edes ads that players are grumbling about the Youkilis trade and that they are taking complaints about Bobby Valentine to GM Ben Cherington. Who, quite obviously, was not on board with the Valentine hire in the offseason, but rather had it foisted on him by team president Larry Lucchino.
It’s hard to know what really goes on in a clubhouse and, it’s worth noting, these stories always exist because someone has an ax to grind and seeks out the media to help him grind it. The other side — where there is harmony — doesn’t get reported, at least at first.
But to the extent there is something bad going down inside the Sox’ clubhouse, it would not at all shock me if this is a logical extension of how Terry Francona was treated last year. The coaches with whom Valentine is reportedly having trouble were Francona assistants. The veterans all reportedly liked Francona. He was thrown under a friggin’ bus and, though it’s not Bobby V’s fault that happened, he’s the guy who is going to get the cold shoulder.
If the Sox turn this around competitively and win despite the strife, all of this will be viewed with some amusement like the 1977 Yankees or it will turn into some coming together narrative. If the Sox lose, though, it’s gonna be ugly, ugly, ugly.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)