Jul 13, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
As expected the Red Sox have activated Jacoby Ellsbury from the disabled list for tonight’s game after the center fielder missed the past 79 games with a partially dislocated shoulder.
To make room on the roster for Ellsbury’s return the Red Sox designated journeyman pitcher Justin Germano for assignment. Ellsbury hit just .185 on a seven-game rehab assignment in the minors, although he did homer once and double twice in 27 at-bats.
There’s been speculation that the Red Sox will trade an outfielder and general manager Ben Cherington admitted that he’s open to doing so, but they may wait until Carl Crawford also returns to actually make a move.
In the meantime they finally have their leadoff man back.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 51
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)