Jul 13, 2012, 2:51 PM EST
As expected the Red Sox have activated Jacoby Ellsbury from the disabled list for tonight’s game after the center fielder missed the past 79 games with a partially dislocated shoulder.
To make room on the roster for Ellsbury’s return the Red Sox designated journeyman pitcher Justin Germano for assignment. Ellsbury hit just .185 on a seven-game rehab assignment in the minors, although he did homer once and double twice in 27 at-bats.
There’s been speculation that the Red Sox will trade an outfielder and general manager Ben Cherington admitted that he’s open to doing so, but they may wait until Carl Crawford also returns to actually make a move.
In the meantime they finally have their leadoff man back.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)