John Henry and Larry Lucchino aren’t returning Terry Francona’s calls

Jul 13, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

File image of Boston Red Sox manager Francona leaving the field after being ejected from the game by umpire after arguing a controversial call with officials during the fourth inning of their American League MLB baseball game in Seattle

Gosh, you tellin’ me that there’s more strife in Boston? Crazy! Terry Francona says that Sox owner John Henry and team president Larry Lucchino aren’t returning his calls:

“I don’t talk to them. Again, I’ve tried a few times. There are some things that are personal, things that were said, things that I’ve asked them to do. They’ve never called back. That’s just the way that it is,” Francona said. “That’s personal. There’s been some things that I’ve asked them to do, they’ve promised, and then I’ve never heard back from them. So, that’s just the way that it goes.”

I wonder what he needed to hear back about. What the messages were. Maybe like “Hey, Larry, I really want my favorite beer stein back when you get a chance call me.” Or “John, I just got a dry cleaner’s bill sent to me for a bunch of uniforms. First, you don’t need to have a shirt dry cleaned as Tide will get our chicken grease. Second, send it to Beckett and Lackey, not me. I didn’t even wear jerseys. I wore that blue warm-up thing and it was stainguarded.”

Yeah, that’s hacky. Sorry. I’m hungry and bored.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Sounds pretty catty. Both side should lose the others phone number.

• Cris E - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Right – no matter how poorly the team behaved, Francona’s not doing himself any favors by saying things like this. You can’t start talking about personal things that you can’t talk about because they’re personal. It’s time for everyone to walk away and be the bigger man, as difficult as that can be in these situations.

• tadthebad - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

You may be right. However, this was a response to a direct question during a radio interview about Francona’s current relationship with the owners.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

A no comment would have been a better answer then.

• pinkfloydprism - Jul 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Looks like Boston Management = Romper Room.

2. uyf1950 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Red Sox fans may not like this but John Henry and Larry Lucchino have absolutely no class. They treated Francona poorly at the end of the 2011 season and they continue to treat him poorly.

• mornelithe - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I don’t think you’ll find any Red Sox fans lining up in droves to disagree. May love the team, but that love is unlikely to extend to upper management as it does with the Kraft family.

• sabatimus - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM

As a longtime Sox fan, I’ll agree with both statements.

• pisano - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Amen my friend, I’ll go a little farther and state what total scumbags they both are, and neither are worthy of carrying Tito’s jockstrap.

3. shaggylocks - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Yeah, that was a bit hacky, but extra points for being upfront about it.

4. chill1184 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Wow thats pathetic, the man who leads your franchise to two world series titles and you can’t bother to call him back. Very unprofessional. Sounds like something big is around the corner for the Red Sox and it’s not going to be pretty.

5. Old Gator - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You won’t have any trouble convincing Feesh fans that John Henry has no class. With the Chihuahua to worry about already, though, we’re just as happy not to have to think about Lucchino.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Waite! Now I am confused. Is the “Chihuahua” Loria or Slobbering Ozzie?
      And why do you refer to him as the “Chihuahua.” Cause’ he nips at your ankles like a lap dog?

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

The Chihuahua is David Samson. He humps Scrooge McLoria’s foot.

6. natslady - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Taking the other side on this one. Why do I need to know who does and does not return Franconia’s phone calls? Whatever you left in your locker, forget about it and get on with your life, last I checked you have another job.

7. soxfan1966 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The Sox’ Front Office has been quiet about the press stories that appeared this past off-season that detailed management’s concern about Francona’s medical and marital difficulties. However, most fans are savvy enough to recognize that these “leaks” probably originated somewhere high in the organizational chain.

They can continue to deny involvement, but they should realize that they would be best served by issuing a public apology to Francona and repudiate those comments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it would probably go a long way toward improving their reputation and showing the players that they want to move on from last season’s shenanignans.

I’m not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen, but the Sox’ treatment of Francona and their failure to calm the clubhouse is a black mark on this management and makes them no better than the dysfunctional ownership groups that preceded them.

• badintent - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM

The BSox Bronx Zoo is here ! Get your tickets to see the snakes cages ! Next, we feature the backstabbing lower class primates and end with a tour of a micro brewing . A bucket of Church’s chicken is included. Stay classless Boston, maybe the Chinese will buy your team and have mandatory practice everyday with $1 million dollars fines for no shows.That should bankrupt half the players. Ask J.R. Smith about that. Practice, practice, your might leading the MLB in something besides whining.waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. !!

• soxfan1966 - Jul 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Is this the pot calling the kettle black??? “badintent” is a prety classless act himself.

8. crispybasil - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

For all the finger-pointing, malaise, and poor behavior that have surrounded this team since last September, the constant thread has been the indifference of the ownership, as well as their inability (unwillingness?) to address any of the problems.

9. psousa1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I still believe the leaker was former first base coach Ron Johnson (who was fired the day after the season ended – why the rush to fire a friggin first base coach?) or the grandmaster of all leaks to the Boston media – Theo Epstein.

• cjbdelaney - Jul 15, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I believe it was Luchino. He was asked directly on TV what he thought about the bogus Tito stories and instead of taking the high road, he looked pensive and said it was an interesting theory. Bulls###t. He would have denied it and backed the 2 time WS manager, or… Suited Luchino’s needs so he threw Tito under the bus then drove over him.

10. psousa1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Also, doesn’t Tito have any 23 year old chicks to chase? Maybe he was calling them to see if they could hook him up with a ‘f’ pad

11. randygnyc - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I’m reveling in the Red Sox’ dysfunction. Not only are they alienating their present talent, but there can’t be any talented players, with any other viable options, who would willingly sign with such a screwed up organization. People want to leave their teams with a positive legacy. You don’t have to look any farther than Nomar, Tito and now Youklis, to see that even their legends get shoved out the door while management throws handfuls of feces at them like spoiled little monkeys.

• wendell7 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Is that you, Reggie Jackson?

• 18thstreet - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Hell, this is what the Red Sox have done since 1919. It’s infuriating. But they’re never had trouble getting free agents to come to Boston anyway.

BTW, Youkilis was traded because he was replaced by a cheaper, younger model. Nothing personal there.

• sabatimus - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Never mind the fact that the Sox won the World Series the year they traded Nomar.

12. eric174 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

The fact that he felt it was necessary to go public with this says all I need to hear.

Dude-go away.
    You have nothing to do with the team anymore.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Maybe you missed it when he left. The Red Sox are a cursed franchise of arrogant, underachieving, overpayed, easily injured, phonies. You can bet Francona is happy he’s out of that mess. The Red Sox are a joke compared to the Patriots, Bruins, and Celtics. Time will tell how much of a joke, but it will be difficult to beat last year’s BIGGEST REGULAR SEASON CHOKE EVAH! At least PapelBUM is not there to serve up season ending fastballs right down the pipe.

• drewsylvania - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Are you Tweedle-Dee, or is that Randy?

• wendell7 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Bozo

• Jeremy T - Jul 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM

The Red Sox are cursed? Again? Oh boy, I was sure I’d have to wait at least another 20 years before I could use that taunt again!

• sabatimus - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

It’s called ESPN disease.

13. mlp3180 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

He probably has been waiting for them to finish their so-called “investigation” as to how his private medical information came to be released. My guess is that he’s trying to give them an opportunity to have dialogue about it before filing a lawsuit.

• samuellsamson - Jul 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Right, for anyone following this ongoing story it’s clearly what he’s talking about. Francona asked them to find out who was the source of the leaks. Clearly he feels he was assured that would be investigated. Now they won’t answer the phone when he calls to ask for an update.

14. deathmonkey41 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Maybe he left his painkillers in his office and he wants them back?

15. randygnyc - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

18th- you don’t think the Youklis trade came with hard feelings? After Bobby V jumped him with his “lazy” comments earlier this year, before Middlebrooks was given the opportunity to perform. And those hard feelings, that don’t exist, still linger with Pedroia. And somehow, none of this is affecting the clubhouse.

• samuellsamson - Jul 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I don’t recall Valentine calling Youkilis lazy. I do, though, recall some of the usual Boston mediots inferring that’s what he said, when he didn’t.

16. rcali - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Has he tried sending them a pic of himself in a robe by text?

17. stackers1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

This is like when Frank Pantangele had to wait in like to talk to Michael Corleone.

“We should hit em now while we got the muscle”.

18. badintent - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Pack it in for this year Soxies, you can get some high draft picks with some tanking, PEDs and backstabbing Boston media stories. When the keg party with the spiked watermelon ??

19. framingham123 - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Calcaterra and much of the Boston sports media– It’s so disgusting how statements and actions are taken out of context by all of you. I too was so disappointed at last September’s imploding of Red Sox team and management. But the media are more disgusting and embarrassing, especially WEEI radio talk. They’ve steered away from good sports talk/analysis for trash and sensationalizing without having all the facts. And that later afternoon radio host with the high pitch, wailing and ranting voice..ugh. I’ve had no respect for all of it On a related note, I completely support David Ortiz’s recent comments about the Boston media, too.

20. trapper17 - Jul 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Nobody said it would be easy to play in Boston when u have one of the highest payrolls in MLB u r expected to produce plain and simple . Im a huge red sox fan and nothing pains me more then to c the yanks on til every yr . But they should take notice in how the players and owners conduct themselves . Does any one think that if the yanks went through this it would still b. going on , my guess would b a big NO the problem would have been fixed and the players would either b in shape or shipped out .

21. crzyfrbb - Jul 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Quit whining Terry!! Move on!!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4993)