Jul 13, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
It’s not quite a fair tradeoff, but the Marlins lost an outfielder to the disabled list and gained an outfielder from the DL. And it might be the best combination of never ever linked in the same transaction.
Giancarlo Stanton was placed on the DL after undergoing knee surgery that will sideline him for 4-6 weeks and Emilio Bonifacio returns from the DL after missing the past two months with a thumb injury that required surgery.
Bonifacio showed almost zero power before the injury, but got on base at a .351 clip and went 20-for-21 stealing bases as Miami’s everyday center fielder. Stanton underwent surgery on July 8, so today’s move simply made his DL stint official. He’ll be out for 4-6 weeks.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 42
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)