Jul 13, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
It’s not quite a fair tradeoff, but the Marlins lost an outfielder to the disabled list and gained an outfielder from the DL. And it might be the best combination of never ever linked in the same transaction.
Giancarlo Stanton was placed on the DL after undergoing knee surgery that will sideline him for 4-6 weeks and Emilio Bonifacio returns from the DL after missing the past two months with a thumb injury that required surgery.
Bonifacio showed almost zero power before the injury, but got on base at a .351 clip and went 20-for-21 stealing bases as Miami’s everyday center fielder. Stanton underwent surgery on July 8, so today’s move simply made his DL stint official. He’ll be out for 4-6 weeks.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)