Jul 13, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Matt Joyce has been out since mid-June with a strained oblique muscle and suffered a setback last week that canceled his plans to be off the disabled list by now, but the Rays outfielder said yesterday that he’s aiming to return within two weeks.
Joyce told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s “pretty optimistic” about that timetable being doable and is slated to begin a minor-league rehab assignment next week.
Joyce was playing in the minors when he tweaked his back on July 4, so the Rays may ask him to spend a little extra time there before a return just to be safe.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 20
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 31
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 31
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)