Jul 13, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Matt Joyce has been out since mid-June with a strained oblique muscle and suffered a setback last week that canceled his plans to be off the disabled list by now, but the Rays outfielder said yesterday that he’s aiming to return within two weeks.
Joyce told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s “pretty optimistic” about that timetable being doable and is slated to begin a minor-league rehab assignment next week.
Joyce was playing in the minors when he tweaked his back on July 4, so the Rays may ask him to spend a little extra time there before a return just to be safe.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)