Jul 13, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Matt Joyce has been out since mid-June with a strained oblique muscle and suffered a setback last week that canceled his plans to be off the disabled list by now, but the Rays outfielder said yesterday that he’s aiming to return within two weeks.
Joyce told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s “pretty optimistic” about that timetable being doable and is slated to begin a minor-league rehab assignment next week.
Joyce was playing in the minors when he tweaked his back on July 4, so the Rays may ask him to spend a little extra time there before a return just to be safe.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12