Jul 13, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
Jurickson Profar, who showed off his power with a home run in Sunday’s Futures Game, is sliding from shortstop to third base for the first time as a pro for Double-A Frisco tonight.
It’s a bit curious; not only do the Rangers already have a top-flight third baseman in Adrian Beltre, but they also have an excellent third-base prospect in Mike Olt playing side-by-side with Profar at Frisco.
However, Olt is currently sidelined with a bruised left hand, according to Frisco announcer Alex Vispoli, opening up third for Profar.
It’s not completely new for Profar to be taken off shortstop; he’s also played 12 games at second base this year. The Rangers still aren’t sure how things are going to play out for the long haul, given that they have All-Stars at second base, third base and shortstop. Profar certainly has the glove to stay at short, though he may never be quite as smooth as Elvis Andrus there.
Fortunately, the Rangers aren’t going to be rushed into any decisions. As talented as Profar is — most regard him as the top position prospect in the minors — he’s still not likely to be ready before the second half of 2013 and possibly not until 2014. The Rangers could have a tough call to make then, though. They currently have Andrus under control through 2014, Beltre through 2015 and Ian Kinsler through 2017.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 127
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (137)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)