Jul 13, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
With three hours remaining until the signing deadline the Rays and first-round pick Richie Shaffer have agreed to terms.
Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Clemson third baseman will get $1,712,500, which is $12,500 below the slot value for the No. 25 overall pick.
Considered one of the best college bats in the draft class, Shaffer projects as a power hitter who may end up as a corner outfielder or first baseman defensively.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 8
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 35
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 42
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)