Jul 13, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
With three hours remaining until the signing deadline the Rays and first-round pick Richie Shaffer have agreed to terms.
Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Clemson third baseman will get $1,712,500, which is $12,500 below the slot value for the No. 25 overall pick.
Considered one of the best college bats in the draft class, Shaffer projects as a power hitter who may end up as a corner outfielder or first baseman defensively.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)