Jul 13, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
With three hours remaining until the signing deadline the Rays and first-round pick Richie Shaffer have agreed to terms.
Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Clemson third baseman will get $1,712,500, which is $12,500 below the slot value for the No. 25 overall pick.
Considered one of the best college bats in the draft class, Shaffer projects as a power hitter who may end up as a corner outfielder or first baseman defensively.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)