Jul 13, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Two years removed from emergency surgery to repair a cavernous malformation in his brain, Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland was aiming to get into a minor league game before the end of the season. However, any such plans have been put on hold, as the Red Sox announced this evening that the 21-year-old required a second surgery due to a complication.
Boston Red Sox minor league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland today underwent surgery for a complication of a cavernous malformation in his brain. According to the Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ, the surgery was a success and Ryan is doing well in recovery. Dr. Robert Spetzler performed the procedure. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ben Cherington.
Westmoreland was recently interviewed by NESN and acknowledged that he was still working through some complications, including a sensation in his right hand and issues with balance. Discussing the outlook for his baseball career is pretty trivial at a time like this, so the important part is that the surgery was a success and that he’s doing well.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 10
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires