Jul 13, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Two years removed from emergency surgery to repair a cavernous malformation in his brain, Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland was aiming to get into a minor league game before the end of the season. However, any such plans have been put on hold, as the Red Sox announced this evening that the 21-year-old required a second surgery due to a complication.
Boston Red Sox minor league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland today underwent surgery for a complication of a cavernous malformation in his brain. According to the Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ, the surgery was a success and Ryan is doing well in recovery. Dr. Robert Spetzler performed the procedure. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ben Cherington.
Westmoreland was recently interviewed by NESN and acknowledged that he was still working through some complications, including a sensation in his right hand and issues with balance. Discussing the outlook for his baseball career is pretty trivial at a time like this, so the important part is that the surgery was a success and that he’s doing well.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)