Jul 13, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Two years removed from emergency surgery to repair a cavernous malformation in his brain, Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland was aiming to get into a minor league game before the end of the season. However, any such plans have been put on hold, as the Red Sox announced this evening that the 21-year-old required a second surgery due to a complication.
Boston Red Sox minor league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland today underwent surgery for a complication of a cavernous malformation in his brain. According to the Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ, the surgery was a success and Ryan is doing well in recovery. Dr. Robert Spetzler performed the procedure. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ben Cherington.
Westmoreland was recently interviewed by NESN and acknowledged that he was still working through some complications, including a sensation in his right hand and issues with balance. Discussing the outlook for his baseball career is pretty trivial at a time like this, so the important part is that the surgery was a success and that he’s doing well.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)