Jul 13, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
Two years removed from emergency surgery to repair a cavernous malformation in his brain, Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland was aiming to get into a minor league game before the end of the season. However, any such plans have been put on hold, as the Red Sox announced this evening that the 21-year-old required a second surgery due to a complication.
Boston Red Sox minor league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland today underwent surgery for a complication of a cavernous malformation in his brain. According to the Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ, the surgery was a success and Ryan is doing well in recovery. Dr. Robert Spetzler performed the procedure. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ben Cherington.
Westmoreland was recently interviewed by NESN and acknowledged that he was still working through some complications, including a sensation in his right hand and issues with balance. Discussing the outlook for his baseball career is pretty trivial at a time like this, so the important part is that the surgery was a success and that he’s doing well.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)