Jul 13, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Arguably the best guy at the most important position in the richest, most successful sports league in America just signed a new deal today:
Drew Brees’s deal is done … The deal includes $40 million in the first year and a guaranteed $60 million in the first three years of the contract. That’s the biggest guarantee for any contract in NFL history. After protracted negotiations, Brees has done very well for himself.
The Diamondbacks and catcher Miguel Montero have agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension … The new deal falls short of Yadier Molina‘s recent five-year, $75 million extension with the Cardinals, but it’s still a nice chunk of change for someone who is just realizing his potential.
Tell me who is more valuable to their employer: Brees or Montero. Now tell me why the guy who is clearly more valuable gets what a decent but not great guy gets in the other sport. Then go bow before a picture of Marvin Miller. Then sing a chorus of “Mama, don’t let your babies grow up to play football.”
And if your counter is “it’s more money than Brees could ever spend, baseball players are just greedy.” Ask yourself who benefits from the labors of these gentlemen. The answer: billionaire businessmen. That’s who Miller and those who have followed him are taking money from. In light of that, I won’t lose a wink of sleep thinking about Miguel Montero’s paycheck. And why I will feel a little bad for Drew Brees, even though he just set himself and his family up for life.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)