Adrian Gonzalez hurt his back being nice to a kid

Jul 14, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT

Adrian Gonzalez Getty Images

Maybe the Red Sox can add fraternizing with children to the ban list.

Adrian Gonzalez is sitting out a second straight game Saturday because of a sore back, the cause of which finally came to light today.

According to the first baseman, Gonzalez was at the mall Friday afternoon when he “ran into a family with kids. I bent over to say ‘Hi,’ to one of the kids and when I came out of that, it locked up on me. I tried to get treatment, to go out there and move around, but it wasn’t feeling any
better.”

Gonzalez is considered doubtful for Sunday’s series finale against Tampa Bay. In his place, the Red Sox have .160-hitting Brent Lillibridge starting at first base tonight.

1. yankeesgameday - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Never bend with your back, always lower yourself to a child”s level with your legs. A lesson I learned while bending over to pet my dog two years ago. My back has never been the same. Gonzalez seems decent enough regardless of what uniform he wears (just poking fun) and this can be a really annoying injury because once the spasms start they come back often and are pretty debilitating.

• hittfamily - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I have been trained in lifting heavy objects. The thing to do is make sure your knees are locked. Bend over with your back. Then, in a sudden jerking and wrenching motion, lift the heavy object with your back, all while keeping your knees locked.

At least that is my advice to the Sox, Yanks, Jays, and Orioles players :)

• Old Gator - Jul 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Drinking an acai smoothie every day will really help keep those spasms under control. Back and leg spasms are also often a function of spikes in blood sugar, oddly enough.

And children are horrible.™

2. gotmelk - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Gonzalez – what’s your favorite player on the red sox?
    Kid – kevin yukilus!
    Gonzalez – aghhhh! My back!

• biasedhomer - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I hurt my back reading this

• vanmorrissey - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Now THAT’s funny! Thing is, Adrian does it at the mall, he could have done it at home with anything so it seems bound to have happened. Destiny!

3. mybrunoblog - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM

A 30 year old pro athlete in peak cognition bends over to talk to a kid and strains his back? Wtf? Is he made of glass?

• mybrunoblog - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I meant peak condition….dam. Cognition is a cool word too.

4. chill1184 - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Well thats some rotten luck. Get better Gonzalez

5. imthedudedude - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:58 PM

This is a bummer man. That’s a, that’s a bummer man.

6. bigleagues - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Brent Lillibridge?!

Why isn’t Youuuuk, playing 1B?!

Oh yeah. Nevermind.

7. scapistron - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

why not Mauro Gomez or Sweeney?

8. ryan02190 - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Dustin Penner of the LA Kings missed significant time in the regular season last year because he got back spasms bending over to eat pancakes.

• bigharold - Jul 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Those musta been some heavy friggin pan cakes!!

9. randygnyc - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I call BS, as I suspect Gonzalez spends an inordinate amount of his personal time, bent over in the Red Sux clubhouse. We may be getting the “what”, but not the “how”, or with “who”. I wonder of Youklis is pissed enough to leak the particulars. Even Tito must know if those indiscreet type activities happened regularly, or just occasionally. Perhaps only on road trips. Be patient, there’s more to this story. It’s Boston afterall.

• gloccamorra - Jul 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Now, now. You can be young and in peak condition, or cognition, and still have this sort of thing happen. OTOH, the best way to avoid or “cure” (sort of) lower back problems is the keep your stomach muscle (it’s one big slab that has to be worked in sections, creating the 6-pack look) in shape. Given Adrian’s off-year, maybe he hasn’t been doing that and the tweak is the culmination, not the initial cause.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate