Jul 14, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
The injury-riddled Braves have secured some insurance for the shortstop position.
Mark Bowman of MLB.com confirms that the Braves have acquired infielder Paul Janish from Reds in exchange for minor league right-hander Todd Redmond. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution notes that he’s expected to join the Braves tomorrow.
The Braves have been on the lookout for help ever since Andrelton Simmons fractured his right pinkie finger on Sunday. The need became even more urgent after Jack Wilson dislocated the middle joint of his right pinkie finger and Martin Prado was forced to fill in at shortstop. The Braves have called up Tyler Pastornicky, but Prado is back at shortstop again this afternoon against the Mets.
Janish is highly-regarded for his defense, but he owns a lowly .221/.289/.302 batting line and a .591 OPS over 975 plate appearances in the big leagues, all with the Reds. The 29-year-old has played exclusively with Triple-A Louisville this season, compiling a .237/.332/.391 batting line and .722 OPS in 49 games played.
Redmond has a 3.57 ERA over parts of eight seasons in the minors, but he’s been stuck at Triple-A Gwinnett since the 2009 season. He’s 27 years old and has never been considered a top prospect despite solid results, so he’ll presumably function as organizational depth with Cincinnati.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)