Jul 14, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Drew Smyly already served one stint on the disabled list this year due to a painful blister on his left hand. Now he’s sidelined again with a strained intercostal muscle in his right side.
Smyly was placed on the disabled list today while right-hander Luis Marte was called up in a corresponding roster move. Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that prospect right-hander Jacob Turner will be called up to take his place in the starting rotation Tuesday against the Angels.
Smyly hasn’t pitched since his 10-strikeout game against the Royals on July 6, so he’ll be eligible to return next weekend. According to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News, Tigers manager Jim Leyland estimates that he’ll likely miss two starts. The rookie left-hander has a 4.42 ERA and 75/21 K/BB ratio over 79 1/3 innings in 15 starts this year.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)