Jul 14, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Drew Smyly already served one stint on the disabled list this year due to a painful blister on his left hand. Now he’s sidelined again with a strained intercostal muscle in his right side.
Smyly was placed on the disabled list today while right-hander Luis Marte was called up in a corresponding roster move. Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that prospect right-hander Jacob Turner will be called up to take his place in the starting rotation Tuesday against the Angels.
Smyly hasn’t pitched since his 10-strikeout game against the Royals on July 6, so he’ll be eligible to return next weekend. According to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News, Tigers manager Jim Leyland estimates that he’ll likely miss two starts. The rookie left-hander has a 4.42 ERA and 75/21 K/BB ratio over 79 1/3 innings in 15 starts this year.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)