Jul 14, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Drew Smyly already served one stint on the disabled list this year due to a painful blister on his left hand. Now he’s sidelined again with a strained intercostal muscle in his right side.
Smyly was placed on the disabled list today while right-hander Luis Marte was called up in a corresponding roster move. Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that prospect right-hander Jacob Turner will be called up to take his place in the starting rotation Tuesday against the Angels.
Smyly hasn’t pitched since his 10-strikeout game against the Royals on July 6, so he’ll be eligible to return next weekend. According to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News, Tigers manager Jim Leyland estimates that he’ll likely miss two starts. The rookie left-hander has a 4.42 ERA and 75/21 K/BB ratio over 79 1/3 innings in 15 starts this year.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)