Jul 14, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Drew Smyly already served one stint on the disabled list this year due to a painful blister on his left hand. Now he’s sidelined again with a strained intercostal muscle in his right side.
Smyly was placed on the disabled list today while right-hander Luis Marte was called up in a corresponding roster move. Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that prospect right-hander Jacob Turner will be called up to take his place in the starting rotation Tuesday against the Angels.
Smyly hasn’t pitched since his 10-strikeout game against the Royals on July 6, so he’ll be eligible to return next weekend. According to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News, Tigers manager Jim Leyland estimates that he’ll likely miss two starts. The rookie left-hander has a 4.42 ERA and 75/21 K/BB ratio over 79 1/3 innings in 15 starts this year.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)