Jul 14, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Drew Smyly already served one stint on the disabled list this year due to a painful blister on his left hand. Now he’s sidelined again with a strained intercostal muscle in his right side.
Smyly was placed on the disabled list today while right-hander Luis Marte was called up in a corresponding roster move. Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that prospect right-hander Jacob Turner will be called up to take his place in the starting rotation Tuesday against the Angels.
Smyly hasn’t pitched since his 10-strikeout game against the Royals on July 6, so he’ll be eligible to return next weekend. According to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News, Tigers manager Jim Leyland estimates that he’ll likely miss two starts. The rookie left-hander has a 4.42 ERA and 75/21 K/BB ratio over 79 1/3 innings in 15 starts this year.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte