Jul 14, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
The Orioles celebrated a walkoff victory over the Tigers on Saturday, but they’re struggling to cling to an American League Wild Card spot and could be without one of their best starters for a while.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun writes that Jason Hammel has cartilage “floating” in his right knee that gives him pain whenever he tries a bending motion. He’ll need surgery to fully relieve it, and the rehab for such a procedure takes at least seven weeks.
Hammel will sleep on it, weighing whether to try and pitch through the discomfort. He’s going to be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the Orioles close out their three-game set Sunday against the Tigers.
25-year-old left-hander Brian Matusz will likely get another crack at the starting rotation no matter what Hammel decides to do. He has a 5.42 ERA, 1.71 WHIP and 62/38 K/BB ratio in 84 2/3 innings this season.
SUNDAY, 11:31 AM: Connolly reports that Hammel is indeed having the surgery, but it’s of the arthroscopic variety and he might miss only four weeks. Still, it’s certainly a tough blow to the fading O’s.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)