Jul 14, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: The MRI results aren’t yet known, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Hammel will miss at least one start. Orioles manager Buck Showalter will have more on his status after the game.
10:06 AM ET: Jason Hammel‘s right knee has been an issue for most of the season, but he’s managed to pitch through it and remain effective. However, he could be headed for an extended absence after leaving last night’s start against the Tigers in the fourth inning.
According to Roch Kubakto of MASNSports.com, Hammel is scheduled to undergo an MRI today to get to the root of the problem.
“I was driving toward the plate and it didn’t feel good,” he said. “Something felt really bad. It’s the same area as the injury was before. It’s kind of just day-to-day. We scheduled an MRI for tomorrow and we’ll find out more, but as of right now, we don’t really know what’s going on here.
“It was something that just happened on that pitch. I mean, the normal things I’ve been dealing with since the actual original injury happened, it hasn’t changed. Nothing felt like a pop or anything like that.”
Losing Hammel for any length of time would obviously be a tough blow for the Orioles, who are currently tied with the Indians for the second Wild Card spot but have faded in recent weeks. The 29-year-old right-hander has emerged as the team’s best starter since being acquired from the Rockies in February, posting a 3.54 ERA and 106/39 K/BB ratio over 109 1/3 innings.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (252)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)