Jul 14, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: The MRI results aren’t yet known, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Hammel will miss at least one start. Orioles manager Buck Showalter will have more on his status after the game.
10:06 AM ET: Jason Hammel‘s right knee has been an issue for most of the season, but he’s managed to pitch through it and remain effective. However, he could be headed for an extended absence after leaving last night’s start against the Tigers in the fourth inning.
According to Roch Kubakto of MASNSports.com, Hammel is scheduled to undergo an MRI today to get to the root of the problem.
“I was driving toward the plate and it didn’t feel good,” he said. “Something felt really bad. It’s the same area as the injury was before. It’s kind of just day-to-day. We scheduled an MRI for tomorrow and we’ll find out more, but as of right now, we don’t really know what’s going on here.
“It was something that just happened on that pitch. I mean, the normal things I’ve been dealing with since the actual original injury happened, it hasn’t changed. Nothing felt like a pop or anything like that.”
Losing Hammel for any length of time would obviously be a tough blow for the Orioles, who are currently tied with the Indians for the second Wild Card spot but have faded in recent weeks. The 29-year-old right-hander has emerged as the team’s best starter since being acquired from the Rockies in February, posting a 3.54 ERA and 106/39 K/BB ratio over 109 1/3 innings.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)