Jul 14, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
After missing nearly two months following a right knee injury which required surgery, Lance Berkman has been activated from the disabled list. The Cardinals sent outfielder Shane Robinson down to Triple-A Memphis in a corresponding roster move.
Berkman, who had a meniscus tear repaired on May 25, was able to convince the Cardinals that he didn’t need a minor league rehab assignment after making it through a thorough workout on Thursday. While the 36-year-old is back from the disabled list, he’s not in the starting lineup this afternoon against the Reds. The Cardinals plan to give him regular rest, which should allow the hot-hitting Allen Craig to continue to get at-bats.
Berkman’s resurgent 2011 campaign earned him a one-year, $12 million extension from the Cardinals last September, but he has been limited to just 13 games this season due to calf and knee injuries.
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him