Jul 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
The Mets have reportedly discussed a trade for Rockies’ catcher Ramon Hernandez, but Peter Gammons of MLB Network hears that they are considering alternatives.
Mets have considered Kelly Shoppach if price on Ramon Hernandez is too high, which would get Ryan Lavarnway to Boston.—
Peter Gammons (@pgammo) July 14, 2012
If acquired, Shoppach would function as a platoon partner for left-handed hitting Josh Thole. The 32-year-old backstop is hitting .269/.358/.527 with four home runs, 12 RBI and an .885 OPS over 108 plate appearances this season and is still owed roughly half of his $1.35 million salary for 2012. He owns a .902 career OPS against left-handed pitching and would be an immediate improvement over Mike Nickeas, who is hitting just .172 with one home run and a .487 OPS in 93 at-bats this year.
Lavarnway, who made his major league debut last August, is batting .306/.395/.455 with seven home runs, 38 RBI and an .850 OPS in 71 games this season with Triple-A Pawtucket. The 24-year-old has thrown out 32 percent (22-for-68) of attempted basestealers.
The Rockies are mostly motivated to move Hernandez’s salary, so he figures to cost very little in the way of prospects. Shoppach has been a pretty productive platoon partner for Jarrod Saltalamacchia this season, so the Red Sox probably won’t move him unless they get something interesting in return.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 1
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)