Jul 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
The Mets have reportedly discussed a trade for Rockies’ catcher Ramon Hernandez, but Peter Gammons of MLB Network hears that they are considering alternatives.
Mets have considered Kelly Shoppach if price on Ramon Hernandez is too high, which would get Ryan Lavarnway to Boston.—
Peter Gammons (@pgammo) July 14, 2012
If acquired, Shoppach would function as a platoon partner for left-handed hitting Josh Thole. The 32-year-old backstop is hitting .269/.358/.527 with four home runs, 12 RBI and an .885 OPS over 108 plate appearances this season and is still owed roughly half of his $1.35 million salary for 2012. He owns a .902 career OPS against left-handed pitching and would be an immediate improvement over Mike Nickeas, who is hitting just .172 with one home run and a .487 OPS in 93 at-bats this year.
Lavarnway, who made his major league debut last August, is batting .306/.395/.455 with seven home runs, 38 RBI and an .850 OPS in 71 games this season with Triple-A Pawtucket. The 24-year-old has thrown out 32 percent (22-for-68) of attempted basestealers.
The Rockies are mostly motivated to move Hernandez’s salary, so he figures to cost very little in the way of prospects. Shoppach has been a pretty productive platoon partner for Jarrod Saltalamacchia this season, so the Red Sox probably won’t move him unless they get something interesting in return.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)