Jul 14, 2012, 8:56 AM EST
Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier were back in the Dodgers’ starting lineup last night, but it was Mark Ellis who played hero. Ellis, who recently returned after missing six weeks due to emergency surgery on his leg, delivered a go-ahead two-run homer off Clayton Richard in the bottom of the sixth inning as part of a 2-1 victory over the Padres.
Clayton Kershaw had a rough outing against the Diamondbacks before the All-Star break, but he bounced back last night by tossing six innings of one-run ball. The southpaw struck out six and walked one in the victory and now holds a 2.84 ERA and 125/35 K/BB ratio over 126 2/3 innings. Kenley Jansen danced around a two-out walk for his 16th save. The hard-throwing right-hander hasn’t allowed a run since June 13.
Kemp was 2-for-4 with a double and a single in his return the lineup while Ethier went 0-for-2 with a hit-by-pitch.
The Giants also won last night, so the Dodgers will open play this evening with a slim half-game lead in the National League West.
Your Friday box scores:
White Sox 9, Royals 8 (14 innings)
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 0
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)